Brandon drivers rule at Devil’s Bowl
WEST HAVEN — Brandon drivers had a big night on Sunday at Devil’s Bowl Speedway, winning three races at the West Haven dirt track.
Joey Scarborough won the main event, a 30-lap Sportsman Modified feature; fellow Brandon resident Dave Snow earned his first career victory in the Limited Sportsman division; and a third Brandonite, Dan Desforges, came out of the stands to drive a 2019 Kia Soul to victory in the Street-Legal Spectator Race.
Scarborough led a parade of area racers to the finish in the Bowl’s Sportsman Modified feature, the evening’s top race. He took over the lead from Middlebury’s Justin Comes and another Brandon veteran, Vince Quenneville, after a restart with four laps to go. Comes and Quenneville took second and third, respectively. New York driver Kenny Tremont finished eighth to clinch the Sportsman Modified Series championship.
Snow earned his breakthrough in a 20-lap Limited Sportsman race. He led throughout and held off late challenges from second-place finisher Anthony Ryan of Benson and third-place racer Anthony Warren of Shoreham — both of them cousins — for the milestone victory. Warren remains in the hunt for the series championship.
Fair Haven’s Chris Murray continued his strong Super Stock season, winning a 20-lap event in that Division. Highgate’s Cam Gadue took second and Vergennes driver Kaleb Shepard drove to third. It was Murray’s fifth win of the season. West Rutland’s Scott Fitzgerald has clinched the Super Stock title.
Shawn Moquin won again in the Mini Stock series, prevailing in a 15-lapper. St. Albans driver Craig Kirby took second, and David Sartwell-Cornell of Highgate Springs was third. Middlebury’s Jake Barrows was fourth and is in second place in the series standings.
Rutland’s Shawn McPhee took the 15-lap Mini Sprint race, followed by Cody O’Brien of Springfield and New York driver Dakota Green. McPhee and Fletcher’s Evan Roberts, who was fourth, are dueling for the Mini Sprint crown.
Desforges and his Kia outdueled Salisbury’s Gary English in a 2012 GMC pickup in the Street-Legal final.
The winners and local drivers on Sunday at Devil’s Bowl were:
• Pepsi Sportsman Modified Feature — 30 laps: 1. Scarborough; 2. Comes; 3. Quenneville; 6. Tim LaDuc, Orwell; 12. Jimmy Ryan, Shoreham; 18. Brent Warren, Salisbury; 23. Mike Palmer, Salisbury
• O’Reilly Auto Parts Limited Sportsman Feature — 20 laps: 1. Snow; 2. Ryan; 3. Warren; 4. James Hanson, Orwell; 6. Austin Comes, Middlebury; 7. Matt Bilodeau, Brandon; 9. Justin Stone, Middlebury; 10. Adam Piper, Leicester;
• Super Stock Feature — 20 laps, shortened to 17: 1. Murray; 3. Shepard; 11. Ronnie Alger, Orwell; 15. Garrett Given, Orwell.
• Mini Stock Feature — 15 laps: 1. Moquin; 4. Barrows; 6. Griff Mahoney, Brandon; 9. Scott Cowdrey, Leicester.
• Friend Construction 500cc Mini Sprint Feature — 15 laps: 1. McPhee; 5. Kevin Smith, Brandon; 10. Kaidin White, Monkton; 12. Troy Audet, Bridport; 13. Alyza McKeighan, Brandon.
• Street-Legal Spectator Race: 1. Desforges; 2. English, Salisbury.
MAV boys’ lacrosse falls to Montpelier in D-III final, 11-9
After a scoring five unanswered goals in the fourth quarter, MAV fell just short of a Divi … (read more)
Tiger softball ousts No. 1 Hartford, heads to D-II final
MUHS softball’s three runs in the top of the first inning proved to be enough to beat the … (read more)
Tiger boys’ lax earns D-I title berth
The Middlebury Union High School boys’ lacrosse team is going to the Division I championsh … (read more)