VERGENNES — This past weekend’s icy, snowy weather kept Vergennes police busy: On Saturday alone, city police responded to three accidents.
Two were within or near city limits. A car slid off Panton Road, and another minor accident occurred on Route 22A right on the Vergennes-Panton line. Also that evening, Vergennes police helped the Addison County Sheriff’s Department at the scene of a one-car accident in Panton on Route 22A.
That Saturday night, Vergennes police also ticketed two cars for violating the city’s wintertime ban on overnight parking on streets, and ordered a third car towed. On Sunday, they also helped push a motorist out of a snowdrift alongside Armory Lane.
In other action between Dec. 30 and Jan. 5, Vergennes police:
• On Dec. 30 responded to a complaint of loud banging outside a Main Street home and determined ice and frost caused the noise.
• On Dec. 30 backed up Vermont State Police at a Panton family fight, and later took a statement from a party involved who had left the scene and come into Vergennes.
• On Dec. 31 were told a child was missing from a basketball game, but later learned he had just gone home from the event.
• On Dec. 31 talked to neighbors of an elderly woman in an apartment building with a habit of leaving items cooking on a stove and forgetting they were there; police also spoke to the property manager and all agreed they would find folks to cook for the woman.
• On Dec. 31 spoke to an East Street woman who was reported to be suicidal and also to her family members, and determined all was OK.
• On Dec. 31 operated a sobriety checkpoint on Route 7 in Ferrisburgh, at which they issued a felony drug citation. Police cited Robert M. Johnson, 52, of Jersey City, N.J., for felony possession of marijuana after finding more than four ounces in his car, and for driving with a suspended license.
• On Jan. 1 at just past midnight backed up VSP at a drunk-driving stop on Burpee Road in Bristol.
• On Jan. 1 helped Vergennes Area Rescue Squad personnel lift a patient on Comfort Hill.
• On Jan. 1 helped an elderly person who had fallen at a Walker Avenue residence.
• On Jan. 2 helped VSP with two accidents on Route 7 in Ferrisburgh, one a two-car accident with injuries that closed the road during early morning commuting hours, and the other a minor one-car accident near Satterly Road.
• On Jan. 2 helped a motorist get into a locked car in the United Technologies parking lot.
• On Jan. 2 checked the welfare of a woman at a First Street home; she was OK.
• On Jan. 3 were told a disabled vehicle was blocking traffic at the junction of Routes 7 and 22A, but found nothing.
• On Jan. 3 began investigating the theft of $550 from a Northlands Job Corps student.
• On Jan. 3 directed traffic around a tractor-trailer truck disabled on Main Street near the Bixby Library.
• On Jan. 3 helped two motorists locked out of their vehicles near the Subway restaurant.
• On Jan. 4 drove a drunken man to the Act 1 detoxification facility in Burlington following a verbal dispute at a Second Street home.
• On Jan. 5 looked unsuccessfully for a dog reported to be limping on West Main Street.