Middlebury Police Log: Man faces charges after alleged assault
MIDDLEBURY — After responding to a March 17 report of a domestic disturbance on Valley View Drive, Middlebury police arrested a Middlebury man and filed multiple charges against him following an alleged assault.
Police cited Mark K. Kennedy, 36, for first degree aggravated domestic assault, five counts of violation of an abuse-prevention order, and resisting arrest, all following the assault that police alleged took place on Valley View Drive that Friday before 10 p.m.
Police lodged Kennedy at the Marble Valley Regional Correctional Facility pending his arraignment.
Middlebury police also reported a half-dozen incidents of vehicles being entered last week, including one case of a wallet being stolen, and they are advising owners to lock their vehicles when they are left untended.
In a separate case, authorities are investigating a fire in the wood pile at the American Flatbread restaurant as a possible case of arson. Police and the Middlebury Fire Department were called to a suspicious fire outside the eatery in the Marble Works on Monday, March 13, at around 10 minutes before 11 p.m. Police contacted arson investigators, and the case is under investigation.
Between March 13 and 19, Middlebury police conducted 10 traffic stops and one VIN inspection, responded to three false alarms and seven 911 calls that proved to be unfounded, and also:
On March 13:
• Heard from a Freeman Way caller that someone had gone through his vehicle and stolen some items.
• Following a complaint, called the dog warden to picked up dog left in a car on North Pleasant Street and take it to shelter.
• Cited Ashleigh E. Hickey, 31, for driving under the influence, third offense; driving with a suspended license; and unlawful mischief following an incident at a home on North Pleasant Street. Police allege Hickey had a blood-alcohol content of 0.201%; the legal limit for driving is 0.08.
• Went to Valley View Drive to help a man who who appeared to be disoriented and confused; he was taken to the Porter Hospital.
• Took a report of a catalytic converter theft from a vehicle parked at a closed Creek Road business.
• Responded to Porter Hospital to assist staff with an out-of-control patient.
• Investigated a motor vehicle complaint on Ossie Road.
• Tried to serve a court order on an individual believed to be in Middlebury, but learned the person no longer lived in town.
• Dealt with a noise complaint on Jayne Court.
On March 14:
• Accepted a key chain found on Maple Street.
• Provided a courtesy ride to a man on Route 7 South during a winter storm.
• Hosted a child custody exchange at the station.
• Helped a motorist with a disabled vehicle on Route 125 in Cornwall.
• Helped Vermont State Police at a Salisbury home on Shard Villa Road.
On March 15:
• Served a temporary relief-from-abuse order on Airport Road.
• Responded to a domestic disturbance including a possible assault involving a juvenile on Airport Road; police made referrals to the Department for Children and Families and the Counseling Service of Addison County.
• Helped a man who was upset and yelling while on the Cross Street Bridge.
• Helped court officials by serving a subpoena on Route 7 in New Haven.
• Investigated the report of a theft on South Pleasant Street and discovered that it was a misunderstanding.
• Helped Middlebury Regional EMS (MREMS) with an intoxicated male who fell off a bike and injured himself on Jayne Court.
• Handled a minor two-car accident on Court Street Extension.
• Aided a motorist with a disabled vehicle on South Main Street.
• Handled a two-car accident on Main Street; police reported property damage but no injuries.
• Conducted a pre-employment background investigation.
• Helped an Exchange Street resident with a report of someone possibly using a family vehicle without permission.
• Found an open door at a closed Seymour Street business.
• Checked on a suspicious vehicle parked at a closed Maple Street business.
On March 16:
• Helped a Court Street resident remove an unwanted visitor who was refusing to leave their apartment.
• Assisted a person on Washington Street experiencing a mental health crisis; MREMS transported the person to Porter Hospital.
• Conducted a welfare check on Weybridge Street on behalf of Richmond police.
• Investigated a report of a male shouting “non-directed” threats on Main Street at 5:07 p.m.
• Checked a report of student who ran off from the bus; the student was found.
• Took a report of a Middlebury Union Middle School student in possession of marijuana and vapes. The case is under investigation.
• Helped a Valley View resident with safety concerns involving their child’s significant other.
• Dealt with a request for a welfare check on a person at a residential care home and contacted staff there regarding the concern.
• Assisted a driver who had a flat tire on Case Street at Quarry Road.
• Helped a South Pleasant Street man exit his apartment after someone tied his door shut from the outside.
On March 17:
• Took several reports of vehicles being rummaged through while parked at the Otterside Condominium complex. Nothing was reported stolen.
• Went along with MREMS to a report of an unresponsive person at a Seminary Street Extension address. The person was found to be responsive on arrival, but was transported to Porter Hospital.
• Responded to the report of a juvenile assaulting another juvenile at MUMS; police said the case is under investigation for possible criminal charges.
• Began investigating the report that a Jeep Liberty SUV was stolen from outside a Cross Street residence in Middlebury.
• Referred to the Addison County Unit for Special Investigations a reported case of cruelty to a family member on Seminary Street.
• Were told a visor organizer had been stolen from a car parked outside a Cedar Court residence.
• Helped a driver on Airport Road.
On March 18:
• Assisted at the scene on Route 7 North where a tractor-trailer had gone off the road.
• Helped a Vergennes resident with damage to a vehicle from an attempted break-in while it was parked on Bakery Lane.
• Investigated the report of a items taken from a home with an unlocked door in the Buttolph Acres area.
• Found a vehicle reported stolen from Freeman Way on Charles Ave.
On March 19 took a report of a wallet stolen out of a car parked at the Aubuchon Hardware store in Middlebury.
Two Leicester men shot in targeted attacked; one killed
Shooting near Leicester Four Corners on Sunday night leaves one man dead, another in criti … (read more)
Vermont State Police Log: Driver killed in crash identified
On May 24, after the deadline for the last print edition of the Independent, Vermont State … (read more)
Middlebury Police Log: Man cited for DUI following accident
Middlebury police cited Stephen M. Belanger, 29, of Middlebury for driving under the influ … (read more)