Gramling win leads VUHS boys to 4th in state indoor track & field championship meet
BURLINGTON — An individual Division II title won by Commodore junior Calvin Gramling in the boys’ 1,000-meter race was the biggest highlight for the Vergennes and Mount Abraham indoor track and field teams at Saturday’s high school state championship meet, hosted by the University of Vermont.
Also in D-II, Mount Abe’s Ruby Jean Hall posted the next best result, taking second in the girls’ 55-meter hurdles, while her teammate Joseph Darling finished third in the boys’ long jump and fourth in the triple jump.
Commodore junior Calder Rakowski also finished third in an individual race, the boys’ 600, joining Gramling, Hall and Darling in qualifying for the upcoming New England indoor championship meet to be held in Boston.
Gramling and Rakowski also joined Riley Gagnon and Grey Fearon on two third-place VUHS relay teams to help the Commodore boys finish fourth among 19 scoring teams in D-II. It was the highest finish among the two local girls’ and two boys’ teams.
Hartford (101 points) won the D-II boys’ team competition, followed by Fair Haven (82.5), Thetford (44) and VUHS (35). With points from Darling and hurdler Dustin Lavigne, the Eagle boys were 12th with 12 points.
Rice (90 points) topped Thetford (56) and Fair Haven (46) for the D-II girls’ crown. With help from a fourth-place relay team that included Hall, the Eagle girls were tied for 9th with 18 points. Jing Williams scored in the 600, and she teamed up with Torrey Hannah, Mia Kitchukian and Quincy Sabick in the 4X400 relay to help VUHS finish 13th with six points.
The boys’ results with their times and distances were:
• 600: 3. Rakowski, VUHS, 1:32.57.
• 1,000: 1. Gramling, VUHS, 2:51.62.
• 55 hurdles: 5. Lavigne, Mt. Abe, 10.03.
• 4×400: 3. VUHS, 3:59.12 (Gagnon, Gramling, Fearon, Rakowski).
• 4×800: 3. VUHS, 9:09.31 (Gagnon, Gramling, Fearon, Rakowski).
• Long jump: 3. Darling, Mt. Abe, 5.81 meters.
• Triple jump: 4. Darling, Mt. Abe, 11.51 meters.
The girls’ results and their times were:
• 300: 6. Isla Underwood, Mt. Abe, 50.08.
• 600: 6. Williams, VUHS, 2:00.06.
• 55 hurdles: 2. Hall, Mt. Abe, 10,19.
• 4×200: 4. Mt. Abe, 2:09.15 (Hall, Abigail Sturtevant, Emily Fritz, Underwood).
• 4×400: 4. VUHS, 5:20.26, Torrey Hanna, Mia Kutchukian, Quincy Sabick, Williams.
Skiers, wrestlers rule winter sports
While all the local high school teams had their memorable moments this winter, the athlete … (read more)
Nordic skiers are D-II all-stars
Four members of the Division II champion Middlebury Union High School girls’ Nordic ski te … (read more)
Umps sought for high school softball
Local softball umpires are noting there is a shortage of umpires for high school games in … (read more)