Vergennes Police Log: Big truck, big fine in Little City
VERGENNES — Vergennes police recently ticketed two commercial trucks, with one of them proving to be particularly costly for a person caught driving a significantly overweight vehicle on Monkton Road without a permit.
That came on Oct. 28, when police stopped an eastbound truck taking a shortcut on Monkton Road and discovered it was 33,700 pounds over the legal weight limit. Police assessed an $8,600 violation to the company that owns the truck.
Police ticketed another commercial vehicle for speeding on West Main Street on Oct. 25.
Also between Oct. 25 and 31, Vergennes police conducted 16 patrols in cruisers and four on foot, performed one property watch and one VIN inspection, responded to one false alarm and one 911 hang-up call, and:
On Oct. 25:
- Escorted the annual Vergennes Union High School senior class charity walkathon through the city and parts of Waltham and New Haven.
- Calmed a Valley Vista client who was upset about being asked to leave the 1 Alden Place program.
- Asked unauthorized people at the 45 Armory Lane affordable housing complex to leave the area; they complied.
- Took a report from an employee at a city business that one of her co-workers had threatened to slash her car’s tires. Police said the woman promised to call back if further problems arose.
- Were told that a lawn mower and snow blower had been taken from an East Street residence; another family member told police the report wasn’t true.
On Oct. 27, dealt with a student who was truant from school and had made up a story about an assault.
On Oct. 28, were told by VUHS officials a troubled student had threatened a staff member. School administrators said they’d work with the Department for Children & Families and counselors to resolve the issue. Police attempted unsuccessfully to reach the student’s family.
On Oct. 29:
- Told the owner of a truck blocking the entrance to the Vergennes-Panton Water District office to move it.
- Calmed a neighbor dispute sparked by one’s brush fire causing ashes to land on the other’s car and home. Police asked that the fire be extinguished.
- Picked up a syringe that a Shaw’s Supermarket employee reported to be in the store’s parking lot.
- Looked unsuccessfully for a motorcycle that had reportedly been speeding on South Maple Street.
On Oct. 30, received two tips about alleged illegal drug activity in the Vergennes area.
On Oct. 31:
- Responded, along with Vergennes Area Rescue Squad officials, to the overdose case at Valley Vista at 1 Alden Place.
- Along with city firefighters, handed out flashlights to trick-or-treaters, and helped out at the American Legion Post 14 Trunk-or-Treat event.
VERMONT — Vermont State Police responded to reports of cars parked on Lake Dunmore Road ne … (read more)
MIDDLEBURY — Middlebury police cited Jessica L. Devoid, 41, for providing false informatio … (read more)
VERGENNES — Vergennes police on May 14 responded to Valley Vista facility in Alden Place t … (read more)