Middlebury Police Log: Man cited for domestic assault
MIDDLEBURY — Middlebury police cited Ben Webb, 37, of Middlebury for two counts of domestic assault, two counts of reckless endangerment, unlawful mischief, and three counts of violation of conditions for his release, following an alleged incident off Schoolhouse Hill Road on Aug. 10.
Police said Webb was lodged at the Marble Valley Correctional Center on $1,500 bail.
In other action last week, Middlebury police:
• Assisted Vermont State Police with a drunken man who had been trying to fight with people at Kampersville in Salisbury on Aug. 9.
• Investigated a report of a vehicle vandalized on South Main Street on Aug. 9.
• Assisted a Court Street resident who had an unwanted guest on Aug. 9.
• Investigated a reported retail theft from a Court Street business on Aug. 9.
• Received a report about vehicles vandalized in the Porter Hospital parking lot on Aug. 9.
• Responded to a report on Aug. 9 of a man on Case Street who’d been holding up a sign requesting help. Police said Middlebury Regional EMS took the man to Porter Hospital.
• Responded to a report of a suicidal woman in The Centre parking lot off Court Street Extension on Aug. 9. Police said they took the woman to Porter Hospital to be evaluated.
• Investigated a report that several vehicles had been vandalized while parked off Merchants Row on Aug. 9.
• Responded to a report on Aug. 9 that a woman had fallen down the stairs at a Jayne Court residence and “was not breathing.” Police said Kathy A. Poppe, 72, of Middlebury/San Antonio, Texas, was found deceased at the scene. Her body was taken to the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner for an autopsy, police said. The case remains under investigation pending autopsy results, but police don’t believe the case is suspicious.
• Received a report of a vehicle being keyed in the College Street area on Aug. 10. Police said this incident is likely linked with a “keying” spree that affected more than two-dozen vehicles on Main Street, South Street and Merchants Row on Aug. 9.
• Warned a man who had been drinking alcohol in a public spot off Court Street on Aug. 10.
• Investigated the untimely death of William Hill, 80, of Middlebury at a Mead Lane residence on Aug. 10. Police believe Hill died of natural causes.
• As previously reported in last week’s edition, responded to a reported armed robbery at the Jolley Short Stop on Court Street Extension shortly after midnight on Aug. 10. The case remains under investigation.
• Provided traffic control on Case Street, where a tree had fallen across the road during the evening of Aug. 11.
• Responded to a dispute between Court Street neighbors on Aug. 11.
• Stopped two juveniles who were driving their vehicles erratically on Court and Cross streets on Aug. 11. Police notified the youths’ parents, who came to the scene to take over the driving responsibilities.
• Responded, with Vermont State Police, to a report of a large fight at Kampersville in Salisbury on Aug. 11.
• Assisted Middlebury Regional EMS with a suicidal patient off Lodge Road on Aug. 11.
• Responded to a report of a drunken man allegedly pretending to jump into traffic on Court Street on Aug. 10. Police said they warned the man about his behavior, and issued him a no-trespass order for a separate incident.
• Responded to a report of possible gunshots in the Grist Mill Road area on Aug. 12. Police said they found no evidence of shots fired, and instead believe the noise might have come from a construction site.
• Investigated a three-car crash, with no injuries, at the intersection of Cross and Main streets on Aug. 12.
• Cited Jason Book, 43, of Clarendon for suspicion of driving under the influence of drugs, following a report of a vehicle traveling on the wrong side of Court Street on Aug. 13. Police said the state lab is testing a blood sample provided by Book.
• Investigated a two-car crash on Case Street on Aug. 13. Police said Middlebury firefighters also responded, due to fluid leaks from the damaged vehicles.
• Searched on Aug. 13 for a woman who hadn’t been seen recently at her apartment, nor at her job. Police said they located the woman at Porter Hospital.
• Assisted a local man who was having a mental health episode in the Court Street area on Aug. 13.
• On Aug. 14 requested that authorities in Ohio notify a traveling Middlebury resident about the untimely death of a family member.
• Responded to a report of someone driving erratically on Route 7 South on Aug. 14.
• Launched an investigation into the theft of a green Subaru Legacy from the back yard of an East Middlebury residence on Aug. 14.
• Cited Kyle Brown, 23, of Middlebury for driving under the influence, following a stop on Route 7 South on Aug. 15. Police said a preliminary breath test on Brown yielded a blood-alcohol content of 0.269%, which is more than three times the state’s legal limit of 0.08%.
• Received a complaint about a drunken man allegedly knocking on a Jayne Court resident’s door on Aug. 15.
• Helped locate, in the Court Street Extension area on Aug. 15, an elderly man who suffers from dementia.
• Gave advice on Aug. 15 to a local resident who felt he was being harassed on Facebook.
• Interviewed a local man on Aug. 15 who alleged he’d been defrauded by a woman he’d met through an online dating app.
• Assisted Bristol police on Aug. 16 in locating a person who had been considering self-harm. Police said the person was taken to Porter Hospital.
Vergennes Police Log for May 25
Vergennes police on May 16 arrested a Vergennes resident on behalf of the federal Drug Enf … (read more)
Vermont State Police Log: Waltham woman dies in Route 7 crash in Ferrisburgh
Troopers report that a 2012 Subaru Impreza was traveling southbound on Route 7 near Dakin … (read more)
Middlebury Police Log: Man cited with mulitple assault charges
Middlebury police on Tuesday, May 16, cited a local young adult with multiple assault-rela … (read more)