Warren’s victory is the highlight at Devil’s Bowl
WEST HAVEN — Shoreham’s Anthony Warren picked up the win in the O’Reilly Auto Parts Limited Sportsman 20-lap race to provide the local highlight in Sunday racing at Devil’s Bowl Speedway, with racing again held without fans present due to the coronavirus pandemic.
Warren, driving on his 12th wedding anniversary, edged cousin Anthony Ryan of Benson by taking the lead on the final lap’s first turn. Warren slid under Ryan as they hit the curve and held on from there, and it was the only lap he led as they dueled to the finish.
Polesitter Johnny Bruno took third, and Brandon’s Matt Bilodeau finished fourth. Orwell’s Garrett Given, Lacey Hanson and Randy Ryan cracked the top 10.
New York driver Bobby Hackel prevailed in the 30-lap Pepsi Sportsman Modified Father’s Day “Topless” Special, in which drivers raced on the dirt track without roofs.
Fellow New Yorker Kenny Tremont Jr. finished second, and Orwell’s Tim LaDuc, Bristol rookie Josh Masterson and Brandon’s Jake Scarborough cracked the top 10.
West Rutland’s Andrew FitzGerald posted his second-straight Super Stock win in that division’s 20-lap feature. FitzGerald spun his car early and also got hit after the restart, but still managed to chase down second-place finished Chris Murray. Orwell’s Ronnie Alger was sixth.
New Hampshire driver Chris Conroy won his second-straight 20-lap Mini Stock race, pulling away in the late going. Leicester’s Derrick Counter crossed the finish line in third, but officials bumped him back to fifth as a penalty for “rough driving” after making contact in the final corner in a close three-way duel for third.
Chester’s Austin Chaves returned to victory lane in the Friend Construction 500cc Mini Sprint division, dominating the 15-lap feature. Chaves was the 2017 champion in the division. Orwell’s Roger LaDuc and Bridport’s Troy Audet ran 5-6 in the race.
Devil’s Bowl Speedway will return to action on Sunday with all five weekly divisions on the card. The general admission grandstands will remain closed until pandemic restrictions are lifted.
Sunday’s winners and local finishers were:
• Pepsi Sportsman Modified Feature (30 laps): 1. Hackel; 6. LaDuc, Orwell; 8. Masterson, Bristol; 9. Scarborough, Brandon; 11. Vince Quenneville, Brandon; 13. Jimmy Ryan, Shoreham; 14. Justin Stone; Middlebury, 15. Joey Scarborough, Brandon; 16. Brent Warren, Salisbury; 21. Justin Comes, Middlebury; 23. Mike Palmer, Salisbury.
• O’Reilly Auto Parts Limited Sportsman Feature (20 laps): 1. Warren, Shoreham; 4. Matt Bilodeau, Brandon; 7. Given, Orwell; 8. Hanson, Orwell, 9. Randy Ryan, Orwell; 14. Austin Comes, Middlebury; 17. Gary English, Salisbury.
• Super Stock Feature (20 laps): 1. FitzGerald; 6. Alger, Orwell.
• Mini Stock Feature (20 laps): 1. Conroy; 5. Counter, Leicester; 10. Justin Allen, Forest Dale; 11. Jake Barrows, Middlebury; 17. Griff Mahoney, Brandon.
• Friend Construction 500cc Mini Sprint Feature (15 laps): 1. Chaves; 5. LaDuc, Orwell; 6. Audet, Bridport; 8. Kaidin White, Monkton.
Solid wins at Hartford on Saturday and then at home over Missisquoi on Monday moved the Mi … (read more)
On the strength of second-place finishes in five weight classes, the Otter Valley Union Hi … (read more)
I love watching movies with my kids, now adults. These days, that usually means watching f … (read more)