Senator provides links to COVID-19 relief resources

The office of U.S. Senator Bernie Sanders of Vermont provided this list of resources for Vermonters looking for help during the pandemic crisis.


Vermont 2-1-1: If you are sick and have questions on how to proceed, contact your health care provider or call 2-1-1. Visit 2-1-1’s site here:
Vermont Department of Health (VDH): For the most up-to-date guidance on public health measures in Vermont, visit:

The VDH has translated information about how to fight the COVID-19 pandemic and stay healthy in 11 different languages: Arabic, Bosnian, Dinka, French, Kirundi, Lingala, Nepali, Somali, Spanish, Swahili, and Vietnamese

VDH’s Vermont Help Link: Visit this new site to find free, confidential information and referrals to substance use prevention, treatment, and recovery services:
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: For guidance on how to protect yourself and public health measures on the federal level, visit:
Vermont Health Connect and Vermont Medicaid are accepting applications. If you need health insurance, sign up by calling 855-899-9600 or visiting:
Vermont Department of Mental Health: For mental health resources visit or call 2-1-1

Vermont Peer Support Line: To receive non-judgmental support and speak to a “peer” call or text 833-888-2557
Vermont Health Care Advocate: A free resource available to help all Vermonters solve problems related to health care:
Crisis Text Line: For 24/7 free, confidential counseling text HOME to 741741
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: For 24/7 free, confidential support for anyone in suicidal crisis or emotional distress, call 1-800-273-8255


General Information and State Resources:

Vermont 2-1-1: For statewide resources call 2-1-1 or visit:
Vermont Emergency Management: For information on the state’s response to COVID-19:

Local governments and private nonprofit organizations taking emergency protective measures in response to COVID-19 may be eligible for FEMA reimbursement — learn more here:
Vermont Agency of Commerce & Community Development: Visit their new COVID-19 Resource Recovery Center site with information for businesses, communities and individuals:
VT state volunteer site: If you’d like to volunteer your skills and help our state get through this crisis visit:
Office of the Vermont Attorney General: To report a scam related to the coronavirus pandemic, contact the VT AG’s Consumer Assistance Program at 1-800-649-2424 or by email at [email protected]

Find updates from this office here:
Vermont Public Service Department:

Vermont’s utility response — a moratorium on disconnections:

Connectivity resources — internet and telecommunication services:

An interactive map of public buildings where WiFi is publicly available for Vermonters to access at all hours, safely from a parked vehicle:
FEMA: Information for Vermont manufacturers about how they may help provide medical supplies for front line health care workers and patients:
Social Security Administration: Offices are closed for in-person service. Vermonters should use online services or reach their local office directly by phone. Find information here:
Vermont League of Cities and Towns: Find information on state and local funding in the federal stimulus package here:
How to Report a Concern Regarding Potential Non-Compliance of the Stay-Home Executive Order: here


Food & Nutrition

Vermont 2-1-1: If you’re experiencing food insecurity call 2-1-1 for assistance. 
Hunger Free Vermont: How to access food during this crisis — from school meals, to resources for families with young children, to meal delivery programs for seniors — read this comprehensive guide:
SNAP (3SquaresVT) benefits: If your financial situation has changed due to this crisis, you may be eligible for this benefit. To apply call 1-800-479-6151 or visit:
WIC Nutrition Program benefits: If you’re pregnant, a caregiver, or a parent with a child under 5, you may be eligible for this benefit. To find more information call 1-800-464-4343, text VTWIC to 855-11 or visit:
School Meals: Contact your child’s school to apply for free meals and to find meal sites in your district. More information on how to apply for school meals can be found here:
Meal programs for seniors: Find information about meal delivery programs for seniors by calling the Senior Helpline at 1-800-642-5119
Vermont Food Bank: Call 1-800-585-2265 or visit:
Vermont Retail & Grocers Association: For information on what retailers and grocers throughout the state are doing in response to the crisis — delivery, curbside pick-up and designated hours:


Economic Services

VT Department of Children and Families — Economic Services Division (ESD): If your financial situation has changed during the COVID-19 pandemic, you may qualify for economic benefits including 3SquaresVT, Fuel Assistance, General Assistance and Housing Assistance. Visit the ESD page here:

To reach the Benefits Service Center call 1-800-479-6151 or visit:

To apply for heating assistance call 1-800-479-6151 or click here:

To apply for SNAP benefits (3SquaresVT) call 1-800-479-6151 or click here:

DCF COVID-19 Information Page:
Community Action Agencies: For statewide services — including emergency food help, fuel and utility assistance, housing assistance, and referral information —visit: or

Bennington-Rutland Opportunity Council (BROC) — Southwestern Vermont:

Capstone Community Action Agency — Central Vermont:

Champlain Valley Office of Economic Opportunity (CVOEO) — Northwestern Vermont:

Northeast Kingdom Community Action Agency (NECKA) — Northeast Kingdom:

Southeastern Vermont Community Action Agency (SEVCA) — Southeastern Vermont:


Economic Relief Payment Information

Read our full summary and FAQ information regarding the economic impact payments here
Read our update regarding how Social Security and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) recipients will receive their payment here
Internal Revenue Service (IRS): Visit the IRS economic impact payment FAQ site for comprehensive information:

The IRS will post key information and updates as it becomes available here:

If you need to file your 2018 or 2019 tax return, you can file for free using the IRS Free File program here:

The tax filing deadline has been extended to July 15th, 2020

For Social Security and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) beneficiaries who did not file tax returns for 2018 or 2019 and have children under the age of 17 — they should enter their payment information on the new Non-Filer website to ensure they receive the full amount they’re eligible for here:

New beneficiaries since January 1st, 2020 should also enter their information on this site. 

Check on the status of your payment here:


Small Businesses and Nonprofits

Read our full summary on support for small businesses and nonprofits here
Small Business Owner’s Guide: here
Nonprofit Resource Guide: here
Paycheck Protection Program: To apply for the program with an eligible lender, use this form:–paycheck-protection-program-borrower-application-form

Visit for a list of SBA lenders

Paycheck Protection Program Overview: here

Paycheck Protection Program — Borrowers Information Sheet: here
Economic Injury Disaster Loan (EIDL): To apply for a loan, and the advance of up to $10,000, click here:
The Small Business Administration (SBA) coordinates with the Vermont Small Business Development Center, which can assist with applications and help businesses think through their options. Call 802-728-9101 or 800-464-7232, or request assistance here:
Local SBA office: Call 1-800-659-2955 or visit:
Employee retention tax credit: Find information about refundable tax credits available to employers that provided paid sick and family leave to employees due to COVID-19 here:
Small Business Debt Relief Program: Find information about immediate relief for small businesses with existing non-disaster SBA loans here:
Vermont SCORE can assist with EIDL applications. Call 802-764-5899 or email: [email protected]. Visit the website here:
The Center for Women and Enterprise can assist women-owned businesses:
Vermont Agency of Commerce & Community Development: For further business resources:
Vermont Department of Labor:
Vermont Agency of Agriculture: Support for food producers here:


Unemployment Insurance 

Read our full summary on unemployment insurance here
Vermont Department of Labor: To file an initial claim call 1-877-214-3330 or 1-888-807-7072, or complete this form:

If you are self-employed: Submit an initial claim by completing the same form:

Sign up to receive newsletter updates from the VT DOL here:

If you’ve already applied for unemployment insurance: Complete your weekly claim by calling 1-800-983-2300 or complete the online form:

For general assistance: Call 1-877-214-3332. Visit the VT DOL site for more information on establishing your unemployment claim, and answers to some frequently asked questions:

The VT DOL has implemented an alphabetized order for Vermonters to file their weekly claims in an attempt to reduce call volumes and deliver benefits faster. Visit the following site to see when you should file your weekly claim or receive assistance:



Vermont Emergency Management: List of Essential Workers: here
How to File a Complaint about Health or Safety Concerns at the Workplace: 

Federal Employees (OSHA):

All Other Employees (VOSHA):
Career Resource Centers:


Child Care/Early Education

Vermont Department of Children and Families: Child care for essential workers — if you need childcare, fill out this form:

If you need child care for foster families, fill out this form as well. 
Vermont Agency of Education: Find information about providing childcare for essential workers here:
Let’s Grow Kids: Find information and resources for children and families, early educators, and employers here:
Centers for Disease Control: How to speak with children about coronavirus:



Vermont Agency of Education: Guidance for VT schools:
Vermont Afterschool Inc: Resources for afterschool and youth-serving organizations:
School Meals: Contact your child’s school to apply for free meals and to find meal sites in your district. More information on how to apply for school meals can be found here:
Consumer Finance Protection Bureau: Information for student loan borrowers:
Federal Student Aid & COVID-19: Information about relief for federal student loan borrowers:
Vermont Student Assistance Corporation (VSAC):



Emergency Housing: If you need emergency housing call 2-1-1. 

To learn about emergency assistance for housing needs click here:
Federal Housing Finance Agency: Relief for homeowners:
USDA Rural Development: Relief for homeowners with USDA mortgages:
Vermont Legal Aid: If you need legal advice regarding your housing situation call 1-800-889-2047 or fill out a request form:

Information on foreclosures:
Vermont Tenants: For information and referrals for tenants call 802-864-0099
Vermont Agency of Commerce & Community Development — COVID-19 Recovery Resource Center:
Consumer Financial Protection Bureau: Guide to COVID-19 mortgage relief options:
Public Housing Authorities in Vermont: To apply for public housing and housing choice vouchers (Section 8), visit the following sites: 

Barre Housing Authority:

Burlington Housing Authority:

Montpelier Housing Authority:

Rutland Housing Authority:

Winooski Housing Authority:

Vermont State Housing Authority:
Directory of Affordable Housing in Vermont:
USDA Rural Development Multi-Family Housing Rentals:
Champlain Housing Trust: Find affordable apartments, homebuyer education, energy efficiency and rehab loan resources, and financial counseling here:
Vermont Housing Finance Agency: Find information about grants now available to nonprofit housing providers and public housing agencies here:
Mobile Home Program: Find information about support available to mobile home owners and resident associations here:
Vermont Department of Children and Families: Find information about extended housing support for homeless Vermonters here:
Vermont Coalition of Runaway and Homeless Youth Programs:
Vermont Coalition to End Homelessness:


Emergency Responders

Vermont Fire Academy: COVID-19 updates for work/volunteer fire departments — join the mailing list here
State of Vermont: Request personal protective equipment here
Center for Crime Victim Services:



Vermont Immigrant Assistance Project: South Royalton Legal Clinic — Vermont Law School:
Association of Africans Living in Vermont (AALV):


Intimate Partner Violence

VT Network: If you are experiencing sexual or domestic violence you can still access resources during this crisis. Visit the following site to contact your local organization:

Domestic Violence Hotline: 800-228-7395

Sexual Violence Hotline: 800-489-7273


Legal Resources

Vermont Law Help: COVID-19 legal benefits and updates for Vermonters:
Legal Services Vermont:
South Royalton Legal Clinic — Vermont Law School:



Vermont Area Agencies on Aging: Information and help for older Vermonters and their families:

Age Well VT:

Central Vermont Council on Aging:

Northeast Kingdom Council on Aging:

Senior Solutions- Council on Aging for Southeastern Vermont:

Southwestern Vermont Council on Aging:
Meal programs for seniors: Find information about meal delivery programs for seniors by calling the Senior Helpline at 1-800-642-5119

Vermont Meals on Wheels:
Vermont Senior Centers:


Resources for Vermonters with Disabilities

Disabilities, Aging and Independent Living Department: Find information for developmental services providers here:
Green Mountain Self Advocates: Find information about peer support here:
Vermont Meals on Wheels:


Military Personnel

Department of Defense: 

Fact Sheet regarding COVID-19 personnel, pay and benefits:

Coronavirus response:



U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs: Coronavirus FAQs — What veterans need to know:
VA White River Junction Medical Center & Community Based Outpatient Centers (CBOCs):
Vermont Veteran and Family Outreach: Available 24 hours a day — call 1-888-607-8773:
Vermont National Guard Family Programs:
Veterans Crisis Line: Available 24 hours a day — call 1-800-273-8255 and press 1, or text 838255. Find more information here:

Support for deaf or hard of hearing, call 1-800-799-4889
VA Debt Management Center & COVID-19: If you have a VBA benefit debt and need financial relief, call 1-800-827-0648. Find more information here:
Vermont Office of Veterans Affairs: Benefits and services for Vermont veterans:
Vermont Veterans Legal Clinic: South Royalton Legal Clinic — Vermont Law School:


Traveler Information

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention:
U.S. Department of State- Bureau of Consular Affairs:

Country Specific Information:
American Citizens Services and Crisis Management: Information and assistance for Americans overseas experiencing emergencies:
Smart Traveler Enrollment Program:
Department of Homeland Security: Information about COVID-19 screening and traveler restrictions:

Information about travel across the U.S./Canadian border:
Vermont Stay-Home Order:


How Can We Help?
The Burlington officeof Sen. Sanders has a team of experienced caseworkers who help Vermonters navigate federal agencies every day. If you think my office can help you, please do not hesitate to call 1-800-339-9834 or (802) 862-0697, or click here. 
If you would like to share your thoughts on pending legislation, or if you have an idea that we could address through new legislation, click here. 


Share this story:

More News
Homepage Featured News

Legislators point to action on housing, environment, school funding

Local lawmakers on Monday listed a series of initiatives they believe will define the 2024 … (read more)


‘All aboard’ for the parade: Yellow House resident’s train dream comes true

Everybody loves a parade — but the Middlebury Memorial Day parade could really use more cr … (read more)


Lincoln’s Jeanne Albert running for House

Lincoln’s Jeanne Albert isn’t afraid of putting in a ton of effort to scale new heights.

Share this story: