Middlebury Police Log: Police investigate sexual assault
MIDDLEBURY — Middlebury police were informed of a possible sexual assault at an Eastview Terrace home on Feb. 16. Police continue to investigate the matter.
In other action last week, Middlebury police:
• Were infirmed of the theft of a purse from an unlocked vehicle parked off Jackson Lane on Feb. 10.
• Responded to a report on Feb. 11 about an intoxicated woman allegedly harassing people near Porter Hospital.
• Were informed of the theft of four tires from a vehicle parked on College Street on Feb. 11.
• Received a report about a partially clothed woman urinating off Court Street on Feb. 11. Police said Middlebury Regional EMS officials took the woman to Porter Hospital.
• Were informed of a retail theft from the Middlebury Gulf station near Court Square on Feb. 11.
• Received a report that someone had stolen an inspection sticker off a vehicle parked on Case Street on Feb. 11.
• Served a no-trespass order on Feb. 11 on a woman who wasn’t wanted at the Champlain Farms store on Court Street.
• Served a no-trespass order on Feb. 12 on a woman who was not wanted at the Middlebury Natural Foods Co-op.
• Were informed on Feb. 12 of the recent theft of a green, 1997 Subaru from a High Street garage. Police listed the license plate number as 7255.
• Received a report that a drunken man had broken a Cross Street resident’s mailbox on Feb. 13.
• Responded to a trespassing complained lodged by an Exchange Street business on Feb. 13.
• Conducted a welfare check on Feb. 13 on a local man who hadn’t been seen by neighbors in a week. Police said the man had moved away, and was OK.
• Warned a woman who had been hanging out at the town green gazebo during closing hours on Feb. 13.
• Gave a ride home to a drunken man who had been found sitting at the side of Exchange Street at around 8 p.m. on Feb. 14.
• Received a report of a vehicle leaving the scene of an accident at the county courthouse on Feb. 14.
• Found a Middlebury Union High School student to be in possession of marijuana and a nicotine device on campus on Feb. 14.
• Initiated an investigation into a potential embezzlement case at a North Pleasant Street business on Feb. 14.
• Investigated a reported theft from the Village Depot on Court Street on Feb. 15. Police said they served a no-trespass order on the suspected culprit.
• Were asked to be on the lookout for a stolen vehicle believed to be heading into Middlebury on Feb. 15.
• Took into protective custody a suicidal man, in the Methodist Lane area on Feb. 15. Police took the man to Porter Hospital for a mental health evaluation.
• Received a report of a woman with her pants down in the village area on Feb. 15. Police said the woman was intoxicated and taken to Burlington for detox.
• Cited John Huestis, 61, of Middlebury for simple assault and resisting arrest, following a complaint by a woman in the Court Street area on Feb. 16.
• Responded to a report of a drunken man crawling along the sidewalk on Buttolph Drive on Feb. 16. Police said the man was given a ride to his home.
• Responded to a report of a local girl threatening self-harm at a Stonegate Drive home on Feb. 16. Police said Middlebury Regional EMS officials took the girl to Porter Hospital to meet with Counseling Service of Addison County officials.
Vergennes police say they are working to identify persons of interest in a series of theft … (read more)
Vermont State Police early this week issued an arrest warrant charging 23-year-old Trent J … (read more)
Middlebury police were kept busy last week with a wide range of service calls, including s … (read more)