Middlebury Police Log: Police seek help with burglary investigations
MIDDLEBURY — Middlebury police are investigating a Jan. 6 armed robbery at Mac’s Convenience Store on East Main Street. The same business was later the target of a burglar only three days later.
As previously reported by the Independent, a handgun-wielding man dressed in a green “hoodie” sweatshirt, dark-colored pants, and black mask walked into the store on Monday, Jan. 6, at around 8:50 p.m. and fired a shot into the floor, according to police. He then allegedly confronted the store clerk and removed cash from the register before firing the gun into the ceiling and leaving the store, police said.
No one was injured in the incident and the man fled on foot, according to police.
Then on Thursday, Jan. 9, Middlebury police were called to the same store — across the street from the East Middlebury Post Office — this time to investigate a burglary. Police said the culprit(s) forced open a window and door. Police are for now withholding details of what was stolen.
Anyone with information on either of these crimes is asked to call Middlebury police at 388-3191.
In other action last week, Middlebury police:
• Responded to a noise complaint at a Court Street apartment on Jan. 6.
• Responded to a report of an intoxicated man walking along Exchange Street at around 8:30 p.m. on Jan. 6. Police found the man and gave him a ride home.
• Received a report on Jan. 6 about a possible sexual assault that might have occurred in Middlebury “several years ago,” according to police. The matter is being probed by the Addison County Unit for Special Investigations.
• Took, to the Charter House Coalition’s warming shelter on North Pleasant Street, a homeless man found drunk at The Center shopping plaza on Jan. 6.
• Assisted Vermont State Police in taking into custody a man who was wanted on an outstanding warrant, on Jan. 6 at the intersection of Routes 7 and 17 in New Haven.
• Assisted Middlebury Union Middle School officials with a truancy complaint on Jan. 7.
• Responded to a report of a dispute between a husband and wife over the ownership of a vehicle, in the Court Street area on Jan. 8.
• Heard a theft complaint filed on Jan. 8 by a local woman against the former landlord of her Court Street apartment.
• Received a report about an intoxicated woman at the Maplefields store on North Pleasant Street on Jan. 8. Police found the woman on Exchange Street, and said that while she had been drinking, she was not incapacitated.
• Responded to an untimely death investigation at a Meadow Way home on Jan. 8. Police said the deceased — John Dale, 61 — had died of natural causes.
• Assisted Middlebury firefighters at an Otterside Court home where a carbon monoxide detector had gone off on Jan. 9.
• Responded to a report of a loud party at a Weybridge Street residence at 11:20 p.m. on Jan. 9. Police said the host shut down the party.
• Got counseling help for a man who had allegedly spoken about self-harm on Jan. 9.
• Responded to a report of a vehicle leaving the scene of an accident on College Street on Jan. 9.
• Assisted MUMS with two truancy complaints on Jan. 9.
• Found a broken door at the Maplefields (former Middlebury Beef Supply) store on Route 7 South in East Middlebury on Jan. 9. Police said it didn’t appear as if anyone had entered the store.
• Were informed on Jan. 10 of the theft of miscellaneous items from an unlocked apartment at the South Village Green housing complex off Court Street Extension.
• Responded to a report of a vehicle leaving the scene of an accident on Water Street on Jan. 10.
• Were informed of the alleged theft of medication from an unlocked apartment in the South Village Green complex on Jan. 10.
• Cited Brandon S. Harbour, 27, of Salisbury for driving under the influence (second offense) following a traffic stop on Route 7 South on Jan. 11. Police said they measured Harbour’s blood-alcohol content at 0.131 percent; the legal limit for driving is 0.08.
• Responded to a report of a loud party at a Weybridge Street home on Jan. 11.
• Investigated a report of a potentially intoxicated drier on Washington Street Extension on Jan. 11. Police said the driver wasn’t impaired.
• Responded to a domestic disturbance at a Washington Street Extension home on Jan. 11.
• Served a no-trespass order on Jan. 11 to a woman who had been panhandling at The Center shopping plaza off Court Street Extension.
• Investigated complaints of alleged drug activity in the Court Street area on Dec. 12.
• Responded to a report of a burglary at an Exchange Street business on Jan. 13.
Two Leicester men shot in targeted attacked; one killed
Shooting near Leicester Four Corners on Sunday night leaves one man dead, another in criti … (read more)
Vermont State Police Log: Driver killed in crash identified
On May 24, after the deadline for the last print edition of the Independent, Vermont State … (read more)
Middlebury Police Log: Man cited for DUI following accident
Middlebury police cited Stephen M. Belanger, 29, of Middlebury for driving under the influ … (read more)