Middlebury Police Log: Pawlet man cited for assault
MIDDLEBURY — Middlebury police cited Richard Waite, 58, of Pawlet for simple assault at a Lower Foote Street business on Dec. 17.
Police said the citation was based on a complaint that Waite had allegedly assaulted a co-worker.
In other action last week, Middlebury police:
• Received a report of miscellaneous tools being stolen from an unlocked building on Route 7 South on Dec. 16.
• Were informed on Dec. 16 of the alleged theft of an unspecified amount of money from a backpack at Middlebury Union High School.
• Cited Mathew Billings, 36, of Cornwall for false pretenses following reports of fraudulent deposits and withdrawals from a local bank account on Dec. 16.
• Served a temporary restraining order on a man in the Valley View neighborhood on Dec. 18.
• Revived an unconscious woman at a Jackson Lane home on Dec. 18. Police said the woman was then taken to Porter Hospital.
• Served no-trespass orders on two people who had been panhandling at The Centre shopping plaza on Dec. 18. Police said the notices were served at the request of The Centre owners.
• Assisted Vermont State Police with a vehicle that had traveled off Route 74 in Cornwall on Dec. 18.
• Took, to receive detox services in Rutland, an intoxicated woman found sleeping at a Court Street business at around 12:30 a.m. on Dec. 18.
• Responded to a report of loud music being played in the South Pleasant Street neighborhood on Dec. 19.
• Received a report that someone cashed a stolen check in Middlebury on Dec. 19.
• Assisted Bristol Rescue Squad and Vermont State Police with an unresponsive man at a Route 116 home in Bristol on Dec. 19.
• Received a report of an alleged assault in the Court Street area on Dec. 19. Police said the victim sought medical care at Porter Hospital. The case is under investigation.
• Investigated a report of a vehicle leaving the scene of an accident on Court Street on Dec. 20.
• Were informed of a fraud attempt targeting a College Street business on Dec. 20. Police said the employer thwarted the suspect’s attempt to steal money through a direct deposit scam.
• Received a report of a pedestrian being struck by a vehicle near the Maplefields store on North Pleasant Street on Dec. 20. Police said they found no one at the scene upon their arrival.
• Assisted a Chipman Park resident who had detected fraudulent activity on his bank account on Dec. 20.
• Were informed of the theft of an unspecified number of Christmas trees from a Painter Road location on Dec. 20. The case is under investigation.
• Responded to a report of a suspicious man on Elm Street on Dec. 20.
• Responded, along with local fire and rescue services, to a reported fire at Desabrais Cleaning on Exchange Street on Dec. 21. Police said the minor fire was traced to a dryer.
• Were called on Dec. 21 to the Quarry Road area on a report of a drug overdose patient. Police said the person was revived thanks to CPR and Narcan, then taken to Porter Hospital.
• Responded to a report on Dec. 22 of a woman having passed out on Bakery Lane due to a medical issue. Police said a member of the woman’s family intervened.
• Assisted Middlebury Regional EMS at the scene of an emergency call on Court Street that resulted in a patient being taken to the hospital on Dec. 23.
A former long-term Middlebury College information technology specialist was sentenced on F … (read more)
Vergennes police are evaluating whether a man they found wandering through the Auto Creek … (read more)
A Middlebury woman and a Middlebury man in a stolen car on Monday night led Vermont State … (read more)