Vergennes Police Log for Jun. 23
VERGENNES — Between June 13 and 19, Vergennes police devoted resources to traffic control, conducting 21 traffic stops, as well as enforced traffic laws, which netted a citation for a driver for allegedly driving under the influence of drugs.
On June 15 an officer noticed a vehicle allegedly being driven erratically within city limits and pulled it over. Following sobriety testing, Vergennes police cited John A. Cunningham, 48, of Bristol for suspicion of DUI-Drugs, subject to evidentiary blood testing.
Also on June 15 another traffic stop resulted in ticketing a tractor-trailer unit for driving on Monkton Road while being overweight without a permit.
In other action during that week, Vergennes police conducted five patrols by cruiser and six on foot, and also:
On June 13:
- Took a call from a Shelburne resident that stated a family member probably left a phone on a Falls Park picnic table. Police found the phone there and held it until it could be picked up.
- On behalf of school officials checked the welfare of a city mother and daughter, who police said were OK.
On June 14 responded to a report of erratic driving on New Haven Road but could not find the vehicle.
On June 15:
- Investigated the theft of cash and a credit card from an unlocked car parked on Main Street.
- Served a restraining order on a Main Street resident.
On June 16:
- Spoke to a Main Street business owner who was concerned that youths in a car behind a business who had been littering in the area might pose a problem in the future after a minor confrontation.
- Helped an out-of-town resident retrieve belongings from a family member’s city home.
On June 17:
- Tried to check the welfare of a city juvenile on behalf of a Newport resident, but learned she was not at home.
- Asked a panhandler to move away from the front door of a Main Street business.
- Arranged for a purse a citizen found on the city green to be returned to its owner.
On June 18:
- Took a report from a person fishing on the west side of Otter Creek that a boater had run through fishing lines, breaking poles.
- Cited Margot Ami Sirois, 29, of Panton for retail theft. Police allege she took three articles of clothing and a bracelet from the Blue Lily store worth more than $300, and she was found in a nearby shop with the items.
- Picked up a dead cat hit by a vehicle on Main Street.
- Shot a rabid raccoon on South Water Street.
Two Leicester men shot in targeted attacked; one killed
Shooting near Leicester Four Corners on Sunday night leaves one man dead, another in criti … (read more)
Vermont State Police Log: Driver killed in crash identified
On May 24, after the deadline for the last print edition of the Independent, Vermont State … (read more)
Middlebury Police Log: Man cited for DUI following accident
Middlebury police cited Stephen M. Belanger, 29, of Middlebury for driving under the influ … (read more)