News

Brandon house destroyed in blaze

BRANDON — A fire destroyed a single-family home in Brandon this past Sunday, Sept. 8, apparently due to combustibles near a water heater. No one was injured.
Sandy Cram of Wallingford owns the home where her son Eugene Cram lives.
Eugene had been outside the house working, authorities said, and when he approached the house at approximately 7:45 p.m. he could see fire through a window.
He attempted to put the fire out with an extinguisher, but was unable to do so. He got out of the house with his dogs and called 911.
The Brandon Fire Department arrived on scene shortly after 8 p.m. and found heavy smoke conditions to the point that the house could not be seen from the road. Brandon firefighters tried to put the fire out and called in the Pittsford and Salisbury fire departments for help.
Despite efforts from local responders, the building, while still standing, is considered a total loss.
The state Department of Public Safety Fire and Explosion Unit’s investigation determined that the fire originated in the closet that housed the water heater. The fire is listed as accidental and is not considered suspicious.
The Division of Fire Safety wants to remind everyone of the importance of maintaining their appliances and reading the manufacturer’s instructions to ensure you have proper clearance from combustibles.  

Share this story:

More News
News

Fish & Wildlife bill gets mixed reviews

At Monday’s Legislative Breakfast, local hunting and trapping enthusiasts grilled Sen. Chr … (read more)

Homepage Featured News

Middlebury struggles with aging water pipes

Middlebury officials are working on a 10-year plan for upgrading the community’s 54-mile m … (read more)

News

Major Starksboro sugarworks changes hands

Sugarmaker Dave Folino has spent over four decades tapping trees in the woods of Starksbor … (read more)

Share this story: