Middlebury Police Log: Man charged with assault, mischief
MIDDLEBURY — Middlebury police cited Travis C. Huestis, 22, of Middlebury, for driving under the influence, simple assault, unlawful mischief, assault on a police officer and resisting arrest, following an incident at the Greystone Motel on Route 7 South on Dec. 21. Police said they responded to the motel amid reports of an alleged drunk driver engaged in a fight. Police said they confronted Huestis, who allegedly ran from the scene before being taken into custody. Huestis declined a Breathalyzer test, according to police.
In other action last week, Middlebury police:
• Responded to the reported death, from natural causes, of a 91-year-old resident of the Lodge at Otter Creek on Dec. 17.
• Received a report that someone had stolen $708 from a Middlebury College student’s room in Battell Hall on Dec. 18.
• Took into possession a marijuana pipe that Middlebury Union High School officials had confiscated from a student on Dec. 19.
• Investigated a report of a woman, estimated at 55-60 years old, allegedly asking people on Main Street for money to help with her granddaughter’s cancer treatment on Dec. 18.
• Served a temporary restraining order on a man who had allegedly stolen a purse from his girlfriend on Dec. 18.
• Responded to a report of a man being bitten by a dog in the East Munger Street neighborhood on Dec. 19.
• Escorted an emotionally distraught woman to Porter Hospital on Dec. 19.
• Took, to Porter Hospital, a troubled, intoxicated woman who said she was thinking about harming herself on Dec. 19.
• Followed up on several truancy complaints reported at Middlebury Union Middle School on Dec. 20. Police scheduled interviews with four families, three of whom didn’t show up. The fourth family said it would work to prevent the student from missing school.
• Responded to a report of a dispute between two residents of the Counseling Service of Addison County’s Hill House on Dec. 20. Police were able to defuse the situation.
• Investigated an embezzlement complaint at the Verizon Wireless office on Court Street on Dec. 20. The business manager will provide police with more details on alleged losses in the weeks ahead.
• Responded to a property damage complaint at Champlain Valley Plumbing and Heating (CVPH) on Exchange Street on Dec. 20. Police said a tractor-trailer unit had damaged a fence at the business and left the scene. A CVPH official chased down the truck and was told by the driver that his bosses would pay for the damage — a claim that was later denied by the bosses.
• Were informed on Dec. 20 that someone had stolen a junked car parked off Route 7 South and sold it to Earth Waste Systems for recycling.
• Received a report that a Browning BAR 30.06 hunting rifle had been stolen from a vehicle parked off Bakery Lane on Dec. 20.
• Were informed on Dec. 21 that multiple items had been stolen from a unit at Middlebury Self Storage on Exchange Street.
• Went to the scene of a multiple-vehicle accident on Route 7 south in which a truck driver was killed (see related story, Page 1).
• Received another report about a woman soliciting funds for a sick child, this time at the Town Hall Theater on Dec. 21.
• Quieted a rowdy woman at a Seminary Street apartment on Dec. 21.
• Brought, to the Porter Hospital emergency room, a woman who said she had consumed a bottle of Tylenol and wanted to harm herself on Dec. 23.
• Responded to a report that some men were in the act of stealing a bottle of wine from Shaw’s Supermarket on Washington Street on Dec. 23. No shoplifting charges were filed, but the men were confronted and spoken to by police.
MIDDLEBURY — Bernard D. Kimball, 76, passed away in Bennington Hospital on Jan. 10, 2023. … (read more)
The Fresh Air Fund, initiated in 1877 to give kids from New York City the opportunity to e … (read more)