Uncategorized

Leicester blaze destroys home, displaces family

LEICESTER — A June 12 blaze on Lake Dunmore Road in Leicester destroyed a home and displaced four people.
Eric Mallory, chief of the Brandon Volunteer Fire Department, said the mobile home, located on a rented lot near Cove Point, was occupied at the time by Helen Corbett, another adult female whose name he did not know, an eight-year-old and a ten-year-old.
Mallory reported Corbett said she put clothing in the clothes dryer and shortly afterward saw sparks.
“All indications are that it was an electrical fire,” said Mallory.
Mallory said by the time his crew of Brandon firefighters arrived shortly after 8 p.m. last Tuesday, the fire had already progressed quickly.
“When I arrived on the scene, the entire back half was ablaze,” he said.
The Salisbury fire crew also responded to the Leicester blaze. While the fire crew was in Leicester, Mallory said the Pittsford fire department covered the Brandon station.
Mallory said the fire was under control within 45 minutes, though his crew was on scene for much longer.
Mallory said the owner of the rental property offered the family lodging for the night. Red Cross volunteers also responded to the incident, and offered financial assistance to the displaced family for food and clothing that had been lost in the fire.
Reporter Andrea Suozzo is at [email protected].

Share this story:

More News
Uncategorized

Bernard D. Kimball, 76, of Middlebury

MIDDLEBURY — Bernard D. Kimball, 76, passed away in Bennington Hospital on Jan. 10, 2023. … (read more)

News Uncategorized

Fresh Air Fund youths returning to county

The Fresh Air Fund, initiated in 1877 to give kids from New York City the opportunity to e … (read more)

Obituaries Uncategorized

Mark A. Nelson of Bristol

BRISTOL — A memorial service for Mark A. Nelson of Bristol will be held 1 p.m. on Saturday … (read more)

Share this story: