Middlebury Police Log: Police investigate Middlebury sexual assault case
MIDDLEBURY — Middlebury police launched an investigation into the reported sexual assault of a local woman on Feb. 5. Police received the report from the Porter Hospital emergency room, where the victim had gone for treatment.
In other action last week, Middlebury police:
• Responded to a domestic violence report at a Benedict Lane residence on Jan. 30. Police arrested Matthew A. Cooke, 20, of Middlebury on a mittimus warrant from Vermont Department of Corrections and took him to court.
• Responded to a noise complaint at a Woodbridge Lane residence on Jan. 31.
• Dealt with several truancy complaints at Middlebury Union high and middle schools on Jan. 31.
• Responded to a report that someone drove away from the Middlebury Village Depot on Court Street without paying a $37.46 bill for gasoline on Jan. 31. Police said the driver was not aware of the mistake and promised to pay the station.
• Cited Robert M. Lafountain, 34, of Weybridge for violation of an abuse prevention order following an investigation of an alleged incident in the Birchard Park area on Jan. 31.
• Responded to a report of a Jackson Lane resident allegedly using drugs in the presence of his 4-year-old son on Feb. 1.
• Received a report about a group of “young males” allegedly trying to sell credit cards near Shaw’s Supermarket on Washington Street on Feb. 1.
• Investigated a report of a suspicious package found in town on Feb. 2. Police received court permission to open the package and found that it contained almost a kilogram of marijuana. Police continue to look into the incident.
• Responded to noise complaints in the Main Street and Woodbridge Lane areas on Feb. 2.
• Investigated a report that someone had entered a Seymour Street residence and cut some water pipes on Feb. 2.
• Were informed of the theft of an iPod from a student at MUHS on Feb. 2.
• Responded to a report of some youths trying to buy alcohol from Hannaford Supermarket using some fake identification cards on Feb. 2.
• Responded to noise complaints in the Weybridge Street area on Feb. 3.
• Ticketed a MUHS student for being a minor in possession of alcohol on Feb. 3.
• Cited Devan J. Corliss, 18, of Brandon for possession of marijuana following a traffic stop on Court Street on Feb. 3.
• Responded to an untimely death report at Porter Hospital on Feb. 4. Police identified the deceased as Robert Guertin, 67, of Middlebury (see obituary, Page 6A).
• Broke up a dispute among around six people outside a Woodbridge Lane bus stop on Feb. 4.
• Responded to a report of an unwanted person banging on doors in the Morningside Drive area on Feb. 4.
• Responded to a family dispute at a Ledgewood Court residence on Feb. 5.
The Fresh Air Fund, initiated in 1877 to give kids from New York City the opportunity to e … (read more)
BRISTOL — A memorial service for Mark A. Nelson of Bristol will be held 1 p.m. on Saturday … (read more)
See when your favorite high school team is competing in the fall sports playoffs.