The Tyler Pelland File
This is a sidebar to this feature story on former Red Sox draftee Tyler Pelland.
CRAFTSBURY — Tyler Pelland, now 37 and a happy family man in Craftsbury, compiled eye-popping numbers as a left-handed pitcher at Mount Abraham Union High School before being drafted into Major League Baseball.
His minor league numbers, particularly late in his career for Triple A Louisville, also reveal potential for a Major League career, if significant shoulder problems had not cropped up.
Here are some milestones and highlights from Pelland’s baseball career:
• In the 2002 D-II Final struck out 19 in a three-hit shutout of previously undefeated Windsor. That game completed a 40-inning scoreless postseason streak stretching over two seasons.
• Struck out 163 batters in 70 innings as a senior, allowing 18 hits, 27 walks and two earned runs. Also batted .451, drove in 29 runs, and drilled four doubles, a triple and seven homers.
• In the 2001 semifinal threw a nine-inning shutout at Windsor, and belted a two-run triple and came on for a two-inning save as the Eagles went on to win the final in Centennial Field.
• Finished 2001 with an 8-2 record, 2 saves, and 139 strikeouts, 25 walks and 26 hits in 69 innings with an ERA of 0.70. Hit .351 with 10 extra-base hits, including three homers.
• Drafted by the Boston Red Sox in the 9th Round of the 2002 MLB Draft.
• Traded with Phil Dumatrait on July 31, 2003, from Boston to the Cincinnati Reds for Scott Williamson, a former National League Rookie of the Year.
• Compiled an overall Minor League record of 34-34 in six seasons with an ERA of 4.08, striking out 514 batters and allowing 528 hits and 296 walks in 435 innings.
• Peaked professionally at Triple-A Louisville in 2007, striking out 27 and walking 7 in 23.2 innings, with 2 saves, a 1-1 record and an ERA of 3.04.
Panther women’s lax completes historic run
The NCAA Division III women’s lacrosse tournament this year might just as well have been c … (read more)
MAV boys’ lacrosse rolls into playoffs
The Mount Abraham-Vergennes cooperative boys’ high school lacrosse team on Saturday conclu … (read more)
Local track & field athletes shine at major Essex meet
At a qualifying meet hosted by Essex High School on Saturday, a handful of local track and … (read more)