Vermont State Police Log: Troopers arrest man for WAGS robbery
ADDISON COUNTY — Vermont State Police have arrested a man they say broke into and robbed the West Addison General Store, known as WAGS, in the early morning hours of Feb. 16.
On Feb. 21 state police executed a search warrant at a Shoreham residence, where troopers say they found several items that implicated Joshua Rheaume, 44, of Shoreham in the WAGS burglary. They took Rheaume to the New Haven barracks for processing and cited him for burglary and grand larceny.
During their investigation, police learned that Rheaume had two warrants out for his arrest. At the conclusion of processing, they took him to the Chittenden Regional Correctional Facility, where he was lodged.
At around 4 a.m. on Feb. 16, several motion alarms at WAGS alerted state police of an intruder. Police report that someone had forced their way into the story via the front bay window and stole an undetermined amount of cigarettes and beer. The subjects quickly departed the area.
Police initially said their believed two people were involved in the break-in. They have not said anything about the status of a second suspect.
Anyone with information regarding this incident is asked to contact Trooper Christopher Hein at the New Haven state police barracks at 802-388-4919. Tips may also be submitted anonymously by texting keyword VTIPS to 274637 (CRIMES).
In other recent activity, troopers:
• On Feb. 19 at approximately 4 p.m. stopped a motor vehicle after seeing what appeared to be a misapplied inspection sticker. Police cited Randy Gorton, 48, of Middlebury for driving with a criminally suspended license and gave him a ticket for the misapplied inspection sticker.
• On Feb. 19 at approximately 4:30 p.m. received a report of an assault that had occurred the previous day at 9 a.m. at a Bristol home. State police investigated and determined that Daniel Sheldrick, 44, of Salisbury had assaulted a household member. Sheldrick met with troopers at the New Haven barracks and police cited him for domestic assault.
• On Feb. 22 at approximately 6:30 p.m. were dispatched to Lake Champlain in the area of Larrabee’s Point in Shoreham for the report of an ATV incident. Police report that Joshua Stevens, 24, of Mendon was driving an ATV on frozen Lake Champlain, which is also a public highway, at approximately 5:45 p.m. when, for an unknown reason, he lost control of the ATV and it turned over on its side. Stevens was ejected from the ATV and landed in front of it. While speaking with Stevens police said they observed several signs of alcohol impairment.
Stevens was transported to Porter Hospital for treatment of minor injuries. Police ultimately cited Stevens for driving under the influence of alcohol or other substance.
• Between 11 p.m. on Feb. 22 and 1 a.m. on Feb. 23 conducted a directed patrol on Route 7 in Ferrisburgh. During the patrol the three troopers involved stopped eight vehicles, arrested on driver for driving with a criminally suspended license and issued six tickets for driving with civilly suspended licenses. Troopers also issued five written warnings.
• On Feb. 23 at approximately 12:55 a.m. stopped a motor vehicle on Route 7 in Ferrisburgh. The trooper cited Lonny McCray Jr., 32, of Salisbury for driving a criminally suspended license.
Vergennes police last week were twice called to deal with patients being dismissed from th … (read more)
Vermont State Police dealt with several motor vehicle incidents in the past week — some in … (read more)
Middlebury police responded to the report of a man exposing himself in the drive-through o … (read more)