Middlebury Police Log: Pilot dies in crash near Middlebury State Airport
MIDDLEBURY — Middlebury police on Dec. 23 responded to a report of an airplane crash off School House Hill Road, near the Middlebury State Airport, just before noon. Police and other emergency responders arrived at the scene to find the pilot — Paul D. Bessler, 42, of Crown Point, N.Y. — deceased.
See a complete account of the tragic crash and its aftermath in our Page 1A story.
In other action last week, Middlebury police:
• Responded to a report of two girls fighting at Middlebury Union Middle School on Dec. 19.
• Responded to a domestic disturbance at a Cobble Road residence on Dec. 19. Police said one of the residents left the home for the night.
• Were informed on Dec. 19 that someone had stolen a 48-inch flat-screen Sony TV from the Addison Central Teens center off Mary Hogan Drive.
• Served a no-trespass order on Dec. 19 on a man not wanted in the Creek Road area.
• Heard from a South Pleasant Street resident who said a nude — or partially nude — man had stood in front of his window making moaning noises during the morning of Dec. 19. Police said they have located the suspect and are investigating the incident.
• Received a report that someone had broken a window on a vehicle parked off North Pleasant Street on Dec. 19.
• Were informed someone had slashed a tire on a vehicle parked off Bakery Lane on Dec. 19.
• Served a no-trespass order on Dec. 20 on a person who was not welcome at a Creek Road business.
• Responded to a complaint of illegal dumping at Wright Park on Dec. 20. Police said someone had dumped two bags of trash, and authorities are working to find the culprit(s).
• Investigated a trespassing complaint on Middlebury College campus on Dec. 21.
• Assisted an Addison County Transit Resources driver who on Dec. 21 had complained about a rider bothering him.
• Responded to a report of a Middlebury Union High School student allegedly being pushed and threatened by another student on Dec. 22.
• Assisted Helen Porter Healthcare & Rehabilitation staff with a patient who was out of control on Dec. 22.
• Initiated an investigation into a potential sexual assault following receipt of patient information from Porter Hospital on Dec. 23.
• Investigated a report that someone allegedly had taken some items from a vacant home on Washington Street on Dec. 23.
• Took a homeless woman to the Charter House warming shelter on Dec. 24.
• Investigated a report about a possibly suicidal patient at Porter Hospital on Dec. 24. Police said Counseling Service of Addison County officials responded to help the patient.
• Responded to a stalking complaint in the Elm Street area on Dec. 24. Police continue to investigate the complaint.
• Ticketed a minor for being in possession of tobacco in the North Pleasant Street area on Dec. 24.
• Assisted Vermont State Police with a traffic stop on Seymour Street on Dec. 24.
• Received a report about a gift being stolen from a Court Street resident’s porch on Dec. 25.
• Received a report about a local child failing to return home on time on Dec. 25. Police said they were able to locate the girl.
• Assisted Bristol police with a traffic stop on the River Road on Dec. 26.
The Fresh Air Fund, initiated in 1877 to give kids from New York City the opportunity to e … (read more)
BRISTOL — A memorial service for Mark A. Nelson of Bristol will be held 1 p.m. on Saturday … (read more)
See when your favorite high school team is competing in the fall sports playoffs.