Tiger boys’ tennis nets No. 2 playoff seed
SOUTH DUXBURY — In the teams’ final match of the spring, host Harwood dealt the Middlebury Union High School boys’ tennis team a 6-1 setback that was the 9-0 Tigers’ first loss of the season, but did not count in the official Division I standings.
According to MUHS athletic director Sean Farrell, the Vermont Principals’ Association’s tennis committee ruled the match, which had been postponed from an earlier date, had been played after the cutoff date for regular season play.
As a result, the Tigers earned the No. 2 seed in the D-I tournament. They are set to open the playoffs on Thursday by hosting No. 15 Mount Anthony (6-9) at 3 p.m. A win on Thursday would mean they would host another match on Saturday at a time to be determined against either No. 7 St. Johnsbury (9-3) or No. 10 U-32 (5-5).
The Tiger girls had a Monday match with Harwood canceled and finished the regular season at 8-6, good enough for the No. 8 seed in D-I. They were set to host No. 9 Rutland (6-6) on Wednesday, with a 3 p.m. Friday date at undefeated No. 1 Champlain Valley up next for the winner.
In Monday’s boys’ tennis match at Harwood, which the Tigers played without several senior standouts due to a conflict with a band concert:
• At No. 1 singles, Ziven McCarty (M) defeated Colin Fennelly (H), 6-3, 6-4.
• At No. 2 singles, Bergen Allison (H) defeated Owen Hammel (M), 6-1, 4-6, 1-0.
• At No. 3 singles, Noah Eckstein (H) defeated Jesse Rubin (M), 6-3, 1-6, 1-0.
• At No. 4 singles, Thomas Reiskin (H) defeated Ryan Miller (M), 6-4, 6-0.
• At No. 5 singles, Ben Road (H) defeated Jed Danforth, (M) 7-6, 6-4.
• At No. 1 doubles, Asher Martloy/Conner Delaney (H) defeated Drew Kiernan/Sam Daly (M), 6-1, 6-0.
• At No. 2 doubles, Harrison Daris/Colin Holter (H) defeated Alex Marohnic/Harlow Punderson (M), 6-2, 6-3.
RIPTON — The memorial service in celebration of the life of Rev. Wayne Alfred Holsman, 87, … (read more)
See when your favorite high school team is competing in the fall sports playoffs.