Starksboro firefighters stop chimney fire

STARKSBORO — A suspected chimney fire on Saturday, Feb. 13, caused some significant damage to the upper floor of a single-family home at Lewis Creek Farm off Route 116 in Starksboro, but the structure was saved during a frigid night thanks to the efforts of firefighters from several area departments.
It was at around 6 p.m. that Starksboro firefighters were toned out to the reported fire at 3071 Route 116, according to Chief Tom Estey. Homeowner Hank Bissell reported the fire after noticing smoke in the house, Estey said.
Around 30 firefighters from departments in Starksboro, Bristol, Monkton and Hinesburg helped battle the blaze and confine it to the second floor of the abode. Estey said the fire originated around the second-floor section of the chimney, near the roof. With temperatures well below zero, the Route 116 home and others throughout the county were putting their heating systems into heavy use, Estey noted.
Firefighters primarily battled the blaze from within the home, which stood up to the damage in large part due to the heavy timbers used in its construction many years ago, according to Estey. The bottom floor sustained some water damage, Estey said.
The blaze was under control by 7:30 p.m. and firefighters left the scene at around 10:30 p.m., according to Estey.
No one was hurt and the occupants of the home are temporarily staying with neighbors, according to Estey.
With winter finally taking hold in Addison County, Estey stressed the importance of setting up reliable smoke detectors in homes and businesses.
Reporter John Flowers is at [email protected].

Share this story:

No items found
Share this story: