New’ Beeman school building celebrates diamond anniverary
NEW HAVEN — This year marks the 75th anniversary of the “new” Beeman school building, which is located on North Street in New Haven village.
Beeman Academy opened in the fall of 1870. It was incorporated into the town school system in 1894, and finally leased to the New Haven school district in 1912. That same year, it was extensively renovated and expanded.
Sadly, on Oct. 28, 1940, the venerable Beeman Academy burned to the ground.
Residents quickly rallied. Temporary classes were held in the nearby town hall, as reconstruction work began. On Feb. 11, 1941, the cornerstone was laid for the new building. An addition was added in 1954, but the Beeman building has remained little changed over the years.
Students will commemorate the 75th anniversary with visits from alumni and New Haven Historical Society members. The New Haven school directors join the community in celebrating the rich traditions of Beeman Elementary School and the honored place it holds in the history of our town.
Editor’s note: This article was submitted by Brad Bull, chair of the Beeman Elementary School Board.