Tennis: MUHS boys win, but girls lose
ADDISON COUNTY — In Middlebury Union High School tennis in the latter half of last week, the Tiger boys broke through for their first win of the spring, while the Tiger girls dropped their first match, but still won three out of four.
On Friday, the MUHS boys nipped visiting Montpelier, 4-3, winning two singles and both doubles matches. Many individual matches were tightly contested.
• At No. 1 singles, Tyler Cain, Mont., defeated Bo Tran, Midd., 6-4, 7-5.
• At No. 2 singles, Bob Avery, Midd., defeated Graham Janson, Mont., 6-4, 6-7, 1-0 (10-8).
• At No. 3 singles, Truman Lee-Solomon, Mont., defeated Jerald Staret, Midd., 2-6, 6-2, 1-0 (11-9).
• At No. 4 singles, Nicholas Holmes, Midd., defeated Seth Nerz, Mont., 6-3, 6-4.
• At No. 5 singles, Coleman Bingham, Mont., defeated Owen Hammel, Midd., 4-6, 7-5, 1-0 (10-8).
• At No. 1 doubles, Jonathan Fitzcharles/Ben Silver, Midd., defeated Owen Koucky/Henry Valentine, M 6-1, 6-2.
• At No. 2 doubles, Eric Podraza/Ronan Howlett, Midd., defeated Zeke Harper/George Huang, Mont., 6-3, 6-3.
On April 29, the Tiger girls edged visiting Harwood, 4-3, winning the top two singles and both doubles matches without dropping a set.
The results were:
• At No. 1 singles, Marvie Avery, M, defeated Chase Fortier, H, 6-2, 7-6 (7-5).
• At No. 2 singles, Bree Cotroneo, M, defeated Sarah Brodeur, H, 6-1, 6-3.
• At No. 3 singles, Mallory Wright, H, defeated Faith Isham, M, 6-1, 6-4.
• At No. 4 singles, Abbie Barker, H, defeated Hannah Stoll, M, 6-2, 6-1.
• At No. 5 singles, Maddie McGeorge, H, defeated Charlotte Keathley, M, 6-4, 6-4.
• At No. 1 doubles, Claire Wulfman/Monroe Cromis, M, defeated Catherine Barker/Emma Laskaris, 6-3, 6-4.
• At No. 2 doubles, Ember Benatti/Amelia Ingersoll, M, defeated Martha McKenna/Rose Kaufman, 6-1, 6-4.
Coach Laura Rumbough juggled the lineup vs. undefeated Division II power Montpelier on Friday, but the Tigers could not take a set vs. the host Solons, falling by 7-0. Jesse Wulfman played No. 3 singles and Cromis moved to No. 5 singles, with Isham and Keathley teaming up at No. 1 doubles and Claire Wulfman and Ingersoll playing second doubles.
The Tiger girls fared better on Saturday at Lake Region in a pair of matches made up from earlier postponements, winning both by 7-0 counts. Although Rumbough again juggled the lineup, the Rangers only won one of the sets (played to four games to allow both matches to be completed) in 14 tries, that in second doubles in the second match of the day.
But the team of Benatti and Kade Brilmeyer, the only substitute in the lineup, bounced back from that first-set loss to prevail in two tiebreakers, 0-4, 4-3 (7-2), 10-4. The Tiger girls are 5-1 overall.
Mark A. Nelson of Bristol
BRISTOL — A memorial service for Mark A. Nelson of Bristol will be held 1 p.m. on Saturday … (read more)
High school athletes ready for fall playoffs this week
See when your favorite high school team is competing in the fall sports playoffs.
Ethan Allen Highway Storage Uncategorized
Ethan Allen Highway Storage Notice of Sale
Ethan Allen Storage 100622 1×1.75