Jane Court condo damaged in fire

MIDDLEBURY —  Middlebury firefighters responded to a Wednesday morning fire at the Jayne Court apartments complex that caused around $25,000 in damage to one residence and resulted in an occupant being treated for smoke inhalation, according to Vermont State Police Det. Sgt. Steven Otis and  Investigator Paul Cerrutti of the VSP’s Rockingham barracks.
It was at approximately 7:30 a.m. that firefighters were alerted to unit #3 at 4 Jayne Court. The victim’s neighbor called in the fire after smelling smoke in her upstairs apartment. In checking the downstairs apartment, she noted smoke coming from unit #3 and called 911.
The occupant of the unit, Terrance Derrick, as well as tenants from the adjacent units, were all safely evacuated. When firefighters arrived on scene, they noted heavy smoke coming from the front door of the apartment and upon entry located the fire in a back bedroom. They were able to quickly extinguish it and limit the blaze from spreading into other areas of the unit and the building.
Investigators have concluded that the fire was the result of a carelessly discarded cigarette. The incident is not considered to be suspicious in nature.
Derrick was taken to Porter Hospital and treated for smoke inhalation and released a short time later, according to police.

Share this story:

More News
Sports Uncategorized

MAV girls’ lax nets two triumphs

The Mount Abraham-Vergennes cooperative girls’ lacrosse team moved over .500 with a pair o … (read more)

Op/Ed Uncategorized

Hector Vila: The boundaries of education

There is a wide boundary between the teacher and the student, found most profoundly in col … (read more)

Naylor & Breen Uncategorized

Naylor & Breen Request for Proposals

Naylor and Breen 042524 2×4.5 OCCC RFP

Share this story: