DeVos leaves Ferrisburgh selectboard, six candidates vie for spot
FERRISBURGH — The Ferrisburgh selectboard on Tuesday evening will interview six candidates interested in filling the vacancy created by the recent resignation of longtime board member John DeVos Jr.
DeVos announced his resignation in an Oct. 22 letter to Selectboard Chairwoman Loretta Lawrence, citing “recent events” that made it necessary to “step back from some of his responsibilities.”
DeVos had served on the board since the mid-1990s, and Lawrence called his resignation “a tremendous loss.”
Whoever is appointed by the remaining four members of the selectboard will serve until Town Meeting Day, when the seat will legally become open again to any resident who wishes to petition for voter consideration.
Five of the candidates have served previously in town government or a town committee, while the sixth ran for the selectboard in March.
They are, in alphabetical order:
• Dennis Armell, a conservation commission member.
• Thomas Drumheller, an elected auditor.
• Steve Gutowski, a former board of zoning adjustment member and Ferrisburgh representative to the Addison County Solid Waste Management District.
• Arabella Holzapfel, who unsuccessfully challenged Lawrence in March. Holzapfel also ran unsuccessfully for the Vermont House as a Democrat, first in 2000 and then in 2012.
• Walter Reed, a planning commission member.
• Ralph Shepard Jr., a Ferrisburgh energy committee member.
Mark A. Nelson of Bristol
BRISTOL — A memorial service for Mark A. Nelson of Bristol will be held 1 p.m. on Saturday … (read more)
High school athletes ready for fall playoffs this week
See when your favorite high school team is competing in the fall sports playoffs.
Ethan Allen Highway Storage Uncategorized
Ethan Allen Highway Storage Notice of Sale
Ethan Allen Storage 100622 1×1.75