Middlebury Police Log: Man cited with mulitple assault charges
MIDDLEBURY — Middlebury police on Tuesday, May 16, cited a local young adult with multiple assault-related charges following an incident at Porter Hospital.
Police had responded to Porter on a report of a person who had punched a hospital staff member in the face. While attempting to restrain the man — identified as 19-year-old Colby Berthiaume — the man allegedly spat in the face of a nurse and an officer, bit the hand of the same officer (causing minor injury), and grabbed a second officer’s hand and bent their fingers (breaking one of them).
Police cited Berthiaume for two counts of aggravated assault, simple assault, three counts of assault on a protected professional, and two counts of assault on a protected professional with bodily fluids.
In a separate incident earlier that day, police had cited Berthiaume for domestic assault, unlawful mischief and resisting arrest. Police had received a report of a domestic disturbance at a Dow Farm Lane residence.
Police encountered Berthiaume a third time just the next day, May 17, when they cited him for violation of an abuse prevention order.
In other action last week, Middlebury police:
• Investigated a report of a person shooting a bear in the Gambrel Court area on May 15. Police said they suggested the person consider safer alternatives in the future for dealing with nuisance bears.
• Returned a drunken man to the Charter House Emergency Shelter on May 16.
• Assisted the Middlebury Fire Department at an incident off Court Street on May 17.
• Heard from a local juvenile on May 17 who disclosed information about “non-consensual sexual contact.”
• Assisted Brandon police by arresting Tayva Murphy, 21 — who has listed addresses in Pennsylvania and Wisconsin — after she crashed her car on Route 7 South following a pursuit with Brandon PD on May 17. Police said Murphy had fled the crash scene on foot but was taken into custody after attempting to run through a wooded area near the crash scene. Murphy was taken to Porter Hospital for evaluation and then was taken into custody by Brandon police for multiple offenses, according to Middlebury police.
• Served a temporary restraining order to an individual at the Porter Medical Center campus off South Street on May 17.
• Assisted local residents involved in a custody dispute on May 18.
• Assisted a disabled motorist on Three Mile Bridge Road on May 18.
• Investigated a report about someone driving erratically on Route 7 South on May 19.
• Responded to a collision involving a car and a person driving an electric bicycle on Court Street Extension on May 19. Police said the cyclist was injured and taken to Porter Hospital for treatment. Police said the collision occurred at the exit of the Walgreens Pharmacy parking lot.
• Assisted a local resident whose name had been fraudulently used to open a Verizon account on May 19.
• Conducted a death investigation on the passing of Gail McEvoy, 84, at a Seymour Street location on May 19. Police determined Ms. McEvoy died of natural causes.
• Received a complaint about a “concerning number of vehicles” parked at the side of Cobble Road on May 20.
• Investigated a report about someone driving erratically on Route 7 North on May 20.
• Responded to a report of a loud party at 14 Cross St. on May 21. Police said the party had dispersed upon their arrival.
• Cited Fletcher Johnston, 28 of Middlebury following their investigation of a reported disturbance at a Nashua Lane home on May 21.
• Were asked on May 21 by Medicare officials to confirm he death of Dorothy Oliver, 97. Policed reported that Oliver had died of natural causes; family were with her when she passed away at her Old Pasture Lane home.
• Investigated an alleged online fraud attempt involving a local victim on May 21.
• Responded to a report of a child who had been darting out into Main Street on May 21.
Two Leicester men shot in targeted attacked; one killed
Shooting near Leicester Four Corners on Sunday night leaves one man dead, another in criti … (read more)
Vermont State Police Log: Driver killed in crash identified
On May 24, after the deadline for the last print edition of the Independent, Vermont State … (read more)
Middlebury Police Log: Man cited for DUI following accident
Middlebury police cited Stephen M. Belanger, 29, of Middlebury for driving under the influ … (read more)