Keep carbon monoxide out of your home

BURLINGTON — The news this week that a malfunctioning boiler in a Vermont apartment building led to dangerously elevated levels of carbon monoxide is an important reminder for Vermonters to make sure they know how to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning. The alarm from a carbon monoxide detector in the basement helped to prevent a possible tragedy.
Carbon monoxide (CO) is an invisible, deadly gas. You can’t see, smell or taste it. Dozens of people visit the emergency department each year in Vermont for carbon monoxide-related symptoms. Between 2013 and 2016, at least one death every year was attributedto carbon monoxide poisoning.
Carbon monoxide is produced any time a fuel is burned, such as natural gas, propane, oil, charcoal or wood. Without proper ventilation, carbon monoxide can build to dangerous levels inside your home or garage. Health officials say that remindersto take steps to prevent CO poisoning are especially timely in the fall — as the weather turns colder, we turn on the heat, and homes are buttoned up tight for winter.
“Having working carbon monoxide alarms throughout the home is as important to saving lives as having smoke alarms,” said Department of Health Commissioner Mark Levine, M.D. “Carbon monoxide gas can build up quickly. Alarms provide the early warning of rising CO levels and alert you to get out of the home and be safe,” Dr. Levine said. “Replace the batteries when you change your clocks in the fall and spring, test the alarm regularly and make sure the unit is not expired.”
The Health Department has created safety tips, a video, and fact sheets translated into eight languages, available at healthvermont.gov/CO.
Dr. Levine advises Vermonters to have their furnace checked each year. “A faulty heating system can be especially dangerous, so have yours inspected and serviced every year. The same applies to wood stoves, chimneys, hot water heaters, stoves and clothes dryers that burn fuel. And throughout the winter, be sure to keep all the vents outside your homeclear of snow and ice.”
If you lose power, never use a generator inside your home, basement, garage or enclosed structure. Generators should be as far from your home as possible — at least 20 feet. Never run a vehicle inside your garage, even if the door is open. If you use remote car starters and keyless ignition devices, be careful to not turn the vehicle on by accident.
Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include headache, dizziness, weakness and upset stomach/vomiting. This sometimes gets confused with the flu. Pets will also suffer these symptoms,which can serve as a warning. If your carbon monoxide alarm goes off, go outside immediately to get fresh air, then call 9-1-1.
Carbon monoxide poisoning is preventable. Check out our video and information about keeping yourself and your loved ones safe, go to healthvermont.gov/CO.

Share this story:

More News
US Probation Office Uncategorized

US Probation Office Request for Proposals

US Probation Office 2×1.5 062024 RFP

Middlebury American Legion Uncategorized

Middlebury American Legion Annual Meeting

Middlebury American Legion 062024 1×1.5 Annual Meeting

Sports Uncategorized

MAV girls’ lax nets two triumphs

The Mount Abraham-Vergennes cooperative girls’ lacrosse team moved over .500 with a pair o … (read more)

Share this story: