County Legion baseball seeking coach
ADDISON COUNTY — The Addison County American Legion Baseball program is seeking a new head coach for its summer baseball team.
The program is jointly funded by the three Addison County American Legion posts in Bristol, Middlebury and Vergennes. Most players historically have come from Middlebury, Mount Abraham and Vergennes union high schools, although county residents who attend private schools and in some cases New York residents have also played on the team.
According to program organizer Ron LaRose, program coaches are paid for a season that runs from mid-June until at least the end of July, and possibly longer if the team makes a playoff run.
As well as running practices and coaching games, LaRose said duties include:
• Attending statewide meetings with the Department of Vermont Legion Baseball Committee.
• Ensuring teams follow all rules of American Legion Baseball.
• Coordinating with Middlebury College for use of the school’s baseball field.
• Developing a budget to support each baseball season to be approved by each county Legion post.
• Maintaining, accounting for and storing program equipment and uniforms.
At the end of this past season, Coaches Mike Estey and Jim Lutton announced they would stop down after a 10-year run that included the program’s first Vermont championship.
Those interested may contact LaRose at 453-3818 (work), 453-7663 (home) or [email protected].