Uncategorized

Ferrisburgh hall open house set for May 12

FERRISBURGH — The Ferrisburgh Historical Society invites any and all curious souls to an open house on Saturday, May 12, from noon to 4 p.m. at the Union Meeting Hall (a.k.a. Union Church).
This lovely brick church, overlooking the maples of the village green, was built in 1840 to serve five distinct congregations. The Methodists, Congregationalists, Baptists, Wesleyans and Spiritualists all shared in the church’s construction and its original use. In 1897, with the Congregationalists and the Methodists having built their own houses of worship, the “Union” dissolved and the town purchased the building.
Around that time, the maples on the green were planted to commemorate Ferrisburgh’s Civil War veterans, and to this date, the only municipal plaques in honor of the local veterans are mounted on the Union Meeting Hall’s front.
It’s a lovely building, with an uplifting history. The Ferrisburgh Historical Society across Route 7 will also be open. Everyone is welcome to take this rare opportunity to tour this oldest of Ferrisburgh’s town assets.

Share this story:

More News
Uncategorized

Bernard D. Kimball, 76, of Middlebury

MIDDLEBURY — Bernard D. Kimball, 76, passed away in Bennington Hospital on Jan. 10, 2023. … (read more)

News Uncategorized

Fresh Air Fund youths returning to county

The Fresh Air Fund, initiated in 1877 to give kids from New York City the opportunity to e … (read more)

Obituaries Uncategorized

Mark A. Nelson of Bristol

BRISTOL — A memorial service for Mark A. Nelson of Bristol will be held 1 p.m. on Saturday … (read more)

Share this story: