Middlebury Police Log: Middlebury police investigate man wrapped in a tarp on TAM trail
MIDDLEBURY — Middlebury police investigated a July 15 report of a body wrapped in a tarp on a portion of the Trail Around Middlebury off Route 7 South.
Officers responding to the scene found a live, drunken man sleeping in the tarp.
In other action last week, Middlebury police:
• Helped Vermont State Police find two runaway juveniles in the John Graham Court area on July 10.
• Were informed of the theft of a Nexus electronic tablet from a Main Street church on July 10.
• Responded to a trespassing complaint at a Jayne Court residence on July 11.
• Checked the welfare of a local woman believed to have had suicidal thoughts on July 11.
• Investigated the theft of two laptop computers from the Congregational Church of Middlebury’s Charter House on July 11. The Charter House provides shelter, food and other assistance to those in need.
• Investigated two accidents, without injuries, on July 12. The first was a one-vehicle crash on East Main Street. The second was a two-car collision on Route 7 South, near the Blue Spruce Motel.
• Provided traffic control and other emergency services during a fire that destroyed the Blue Spruce Motel on Route 7 South on July 12. As previously reported in the Addison Independent, seven area fire departments helped battle the blaze, believed to have been triggered by an electrical system mishap.
• Responded to a report of a drunken man allegedly causing problems at Two Brothers Tavern on Main Street on July 13. Police said they could not find the man.
• Responded to a report of a North Pleasant Street apartment tenant allegedly banging on walls, screaming and breaking things on July 13.
• Assisted a woman who believes someone took some items from her vehicle while it was parked in a lot off Court Street Extension on July 13.
• Investigated a minor, two-vehicle accident off Court Street Extension on July 14.
• Helped Middlebury Regional EMS with a suicidal person on South Street on July 14.
• Served a restraining order on a local man in the Wilmar Road area on July 14.
• Responded to a report of a “group of kids” throwing a television into East Main Street on July 15. Police said they issued court diversion paperwork to two juveniles at the scene for being minors in possession of alcohol.
• Quieted a loud party on Short Shannon Street on July 15.
• Searched in vain for a purported drunken driver near the intersection of College and Weybridge streets on July 15.
• Assisted a Route 7 North apartment tenant who had an unwanted guest on July 15.
• Heard from a McDonald’s restaurant customer who alleged his bike and backpack had been stolen on July 15.
• Responded to a report of a tractor-trailer stuck on Route 125 East on July 16.
• Investigated a harassment complaint in the Route 7 North area on July 16.
• Assisted a Connecticut police department in locating a person they were seeking in the Middlebury area on July 16.
• Checked the welfare of a local woman on behalf of a concerned relative on July 16.
• Investigated a report of marijuana smoke coming from a South Village Green apartment on July 16. Police said they found no marijuana at the address.
The Fresh Air Fund, initiated in 1877 to give kids from New York City the opportunity to e … (read more)
BRISTOL — A memorial service for Mark A. Nelson of Bristol will be held 1 p.m. on Saturday … (read more)
See when your favorite high school team is competing in the fall sports playoffs.