Vergennes Police Log: Untimely death is under investigation
VERGENNES — In a mostly quiet seven days between June 19 and 25, Vergennes police helped calm a couple tense situations, dealt with minor car accidents, served or attempted to serve three different orders to city residents, and began the investigation of an untimely death.
During those seven days, Vergennes police:
• On June 19 dealt with two minor one-car accidents on Monkton Road, one at its intersection with Route 7 and one at its intersection with Main Street.
• On June 19 responded to Main Street to look for a man reported to be acting strangely outside a building, but could not find him.
• On June 20 served an abuse-prevention order on a Hillside Drive resident.
• On June 20 responded to a minor two-car accident on South Water Street.
• On June 20 looked unsuccessfully for three juveniles reported to be throwing rocks at each other on Main Street.
• On June 21 helped calm an unruly Valley Vista client at 1 Alden Place.
• On June 21 attempted to serve a juvenile protection order on a Green Street resident, but the resident was not at home.
• On June 21 in response to citizen complaints of excess speeding on Macdonough Drive and South Maple Street conducted enforcement duty on those roads and found no problem; for example, police said of 40 vehicles clocked on Macdonough Drive the fastest was traveling 6 mph over the posted limit.
• On June 22 issued a no-stalking order to a Meadow Lane resident.
• On June 22 helped car owners get into locked vehicles on Main and Green streets.
• On June 23 checked a complaint of a dog in a car with its windows up on Alden Place and found no problem.
• On June 24 checked a Bowman Road residence for the presence of squatters and found none.
• On June 24 calmed a verbal family fight at a West Main Street residence.
• On June 24 checked the welfare of a Bowman Road resident; police said she was fine.
• On June 25 ticketed a motorist for speed and possession of marijuana and paraphernalia, which was confiscated, at a West Main Street traffic stop.
• On June 25 began investigating the circumstances of an untimely death at a Meadow Lane apartment.
RIPTON — The memorial service in celebration of the life of Rev. Wayne Alfred Holsman, 87, … (read more)
See when your favorite high school team is competing in the fall sports playoffs.