Vermont State Police Log: Driving violations net a DUI charge
ADDISON COUNTY — A Vermont State Police trooper reports that he saw a motor vehicle commit violations while driving on Route 7 in Ferrisburgh at 1:30 a.m. on May 12; so he stopped the car.
While speaking with the driver, identified as 56-year-old Craig Lesage of Essex Junction, the trooper observed several signs of impairment.
He screened Lesage for driving under the influence, arrested him for DUI and transported him to the New Haven state police barracks for processing. Lesage was later released with a citation to appear in Addison County Superior Court, criminal division, on May 22 to answer to the charges of DUI, fourth offense, as well as driving after his license had been suspended or revoked.
In other recent activity, troopers:
• On May 5 at approximately 1:46 p.m. responded to a single-vehicle crash on Route 73 in Orwell. Upon arriving on scene troopers saw that a black Chevy truck had collided with a utility pole off the road; the driver had left the scene before first responders and troopers arrived on scene. State police located the driver, whom they identified as Kalli Mann, 49, of Orwell. Mann was transported to Rutland Regional Medical Center for treatment of minor injuries. Police cited Mann for leaving the scene of an accident and ticketed her for driving outside his lane, driving too fast for the conditions, and leaving a motor vehicle unattended. The 2005 truck was a total loss.
• On May 9 at approximately 2:29 p.m. were notified of a one-car crash on Route 22A near Route 74 in Shoreham. Police report that April Cootware, 35, of Burlington was driving a 2008 Honda Pilot northbound on Route 22A when she drove off the roadway and collided with guide wire, telephone pole, and tree causing damage to the front end of the vehicle and totaling it. The vehicle was later towed from the scene. Neither alcohol nor drugs were determined to be contributing factors in the collision. No injuries were reported. No charges were anticipated. State police were assisted by the Addison County Sheriff’s Department and the Shoreham Fire Department.
• On May 11 formally cited Shawn Newell, 33, of Springfield for gross negligent driving with death resulting. Newell was driving the car that smashed into an oncoming vehicle on Route 7 in Salisbury on April 20. Brian Kerr, 40, of Ripton, a passenger in the car that Newell struck, was killed; his partner, Christina Walker, who was driving the car, was badly injured, as was Newell.
At the time of the crash, state police reported that Newell was driving northbound at a high rate of speed, passing slower vehicles that were ahead of him, and came into the path of Walker’s car when Newell’s vehicle travelled left of center to pass another vehicle in front of him. Newell is due to answer the criminal charge on June 5 in Addison Superior Court, criminal division.
• On May 12 at 10:13 a.m. stopped a vehicle on Interstate 89 southbound at mile marker 2.6 for multiple motor vehicle violations. Police said driver Vilija Bizinakauskas, 29, of Middlebury was operating while intoxicated. Troopers arrested Bizinakauskas, took her to the Windsor Police Department and cited her for DUI, second offense.
• On May 12 at approximately 5:27 p.m. saw a 2015 Lexus NX15 driven by Tess Lieber, 19, of New York, N.Y., rear-end a 2012 Ford Focus driven by David Quesnel, 52, of Whiting on Route 7 near Quaker Street/Dakin Farm in Ferrisburgh. No one was hurt, but both vehicles sustained bumper damage. Neither alcohol nor drugs were believed to be factors in the crash. Police ticketed Lieber for following too close and imprudent driving with an accident resulting.
• On the morning of May 13 stopped a motor vehicle driven by Jimmy Brown, 47, of Colchester on Basin Harbor Road in Panton, after observing the vehicle commit traffic violations. State police report that they detected signs of impairment, screened Brown for DUI, and took him into custody. Troopers cited Brown for DUI. Vergennes police assisted with the incident.
• On May 14 at approximately 2:51 p.m. responded to the area of Lake Street and Russell Lane in Panton for a report of a one-car crash. Police ended up citing Chad Lang, 43, of Jericho for driving under the influence of alcohol, second offense.
The Fresh Air Fund, initiated in 1877 to give kids from New York City the opportunity to e … (read more)
BRISTOL — A memorial service for Mark A. Nelson of Bristol will be held 1 p.m. on Saturday … (read more)
See when your favorite high school team is competing in the fall sports playoffs.