Renters: Are you eligible for a tax rebate?

VERMONT — Vermont’s Renter Rebate Program refunds to eligible renters the portion of rent paid that exceeds an established percentage for household income.
So, if your household income is $0-$9,999, you can get a refund if your rent exceeds 2 percent of your income; if your household income is $10,000-$24,999, the refund kicks in for rent over 4.5 percent of income; and if your household income is $25,000-$47,000, the refund is for rent over 5 percent of your income.
You must meet all of the following eligibility requirements to file a Renter Rebate Claim:
•  You were domiciled in Vermont for the entire calendar year 2016.
•  You were not claimed as a dependent of another taxpayer.
•  Your household income did not exceed $47,000.
•  You are the only person in the household making a renter rebate claim.
•  You rented in Vermont for the entire year from Jan. 1 through Dec. 31.
Exception: Homeowners who sell their homestead property before April 1 and then rent through Dec. 31 may file a claim for rent paid.
You may file a Renter Rebate Claim even if you are not required to file an income tax return. To file a claim, you must submit the following forms:
•  Form PR-141, Renter Rebate Claim, and Schedule HI-144, Household Income and Instructions.
•  The Form LC-142, Landlord Certificate, is available to file electronically online at myVTax.vermont.gov.
New for 2017: The Renter Rebate Claim can be filed electronically through your tax software or directly at myVTax.vermont.gov, the Vermont Tax Department’s online portal.
Unable to get a certificate from your landlord?
You may still file a renter rebate claim. Complete a Landlord’s Certificate including your landlord’s name, address and telephone number, attach copies of your cancelled checks or receipts for rent paid, and attach a letter explaining why you could not get a Landlord’s Certificate.
Mail completed renter rebate forms to:
Vermont Department of Taxes
PO Box 1881 Montpelier, VT  05601-1881
For questions about filing a renter rebate claim, contact the Vermont Department of Taxes at (802) 828-2865 or toll-free at 1-866-828-2865.

Share this story:

More News
US Probation Office Uncategorized

US Probation Office Request for Proposals

US Probation Office 2×1.5 062024 RFP

Middlebury American Legion Uncategorized

Middlebury American Legion Annual Meeting

Middlebury American Legion 062024 1×1.5 Annual Meeting

Sports Uncategorized

MAV girls’ lax nets two triumphs

The Mount Abraham-Vergennes cooperative girls’ lacrosse team moved over .500 with a pair o … (read more)

Share this story: