Middlebury Police Log: Police investigate report of child sexual assault
MIDDLEBURY — Middlebury police joined the Vermont Department for Children & Families in an investigation of the alleged sexual assault of a local girl on Jan. 5.
In other action last week, Middlebury police:
• Cited Daniel Prime, 46, of Bristol for two counts of violating an abuse prevention order, on Jan. 2. Police allege Prime had contacted a woman at her Middlebury workplace and had left a card at her home.
• Assisted a man who had reported an unwanted visitor at his Route 7 South home on Jan. 2.
• Interviewed a woman who believed she might have been followed by an “older man in a white vehicle” while driving down South Street Extension on Jan. 2.
• Were informed that someone had driven away from the Maplefields store on North Pleasant Street without paying for gas on Jan. 2. A similar incident happened on Jan. 7.
• Investigated a Jan. 2 report by Courtyard by Marriott hotel workers that a guest had “completely torn apart” their room prior to leaving.
• Assisted the Monroe County (N.Y.) Sheriff’s Department in its investigation of an alleged sexual assault on Jan. 3.
• Heard from a local woman who alleged her ex-boyfriend had stolen her debit card and used it to withdraw some money from her account on Jan. 3. Police continue to investigate the matter.
• Investigated a car-versus-deer accident on Court Street Extension on Jan. 4.
• Responded to a noise complaint at a North Pleasant Street apartment on Jan. 4.
• Issued juvenile citations to two Middlebury Union Highs School students allegedly found smoking marijuana in a school bathroom on Jan. 4.
• Interviewed a woman at Porter Hospital who alleged she had been assaulted by a man to whom she had given a ride to Merchants Row on Jan. 4. Police are investigating the incident.
• Helped the Middlebury Water Department at the scene of a broken water pipe on Jackson Lane on Jan. 5.
• Responded to a noise complaint at a North Pleasant Street apartment on Jan. 5.
• Investigated a reported verbal dispute between a brother and sister at a Lindale Circle home on Jan. 5.
• Responded to a report of a truck spilling lumber on Route 7 North on Jan. 5.
• Investigated a four-vehicle accident on Court Street in which one person was injured on Jan. 6.
• Assisted in a missing person investigation on Jan. 6 involving a Middlebury man who was last seen in Providence, R.I.
• Responded to a noise complaint at a Valley View home on Jan. 7.
• Assisted a North Pleasant Street resident with a microwave fire on Jan. 7. Police said Middlebury firefighters also responded to the scene.
• Gave a homeless person a ride to the warming shelter at the Charter House on Jan. 7.
• Responded to a report of a man and woman fighting in the restroom of the Champlain Farms store on Court Street on Jan. 8. Police determined the pair had had a verbal argument, nothing physical.