Vergennes Police Log: City police pull truck off the road
VERGENNES — On Nov. 9 Vergennes police ordered a tractor-trailer unit placed out of service and towed and issued citations to its driver after stopping the vehicle for speeding on West Main Street.
Police cited the driver for operating with a license that had been suspended in New Jersey and for driving with an expired medical certificate and a falsified logbook.
Meanwhile, police learned the company for which the driver worked had been issued a federal out-of-service order for failing to submit to an audit and was doing business under a new name under which it lacked Department of Transportation authority to operate. Police then ordered the truck off the road and had it towed.
In other action between Nov. 7 and 13, Vergennes police:
• On Nov. 7 aided Middlebury police at the scene of a vehicle-bicycle accident on Court Street extension.
• On Nov. 7 served a subpoena to a city resident on behalf of South Burlington police.
• On Nov. 7 cited Tiffany Bedard, 28, of Vergennes for driving under the influence of alcohol, test refusal; police allege she showed signs of impairment when she got out of her car and walked into the Champlain Farms store on Main Street.
• On Nov. 9 investigated an alleged assault of a woman by a man at a city business; police took statements from both parties and are also obtaining a video to add to evidence already sent to the Addison County State’s Attorney’s office.
• On Nov. 9 issued a ticket for possession of marijuana to a man found sleeping in a car at Champlain Farms.
• On Nov. 9 helped New London, Conn., police by taking a statement and sending it to them.
• On Nov. 10 took a complaint from a Vergennes Union High School staff member that someone, possibly students, had hacked into and blocked the school’s Internet access.
• On Nov. 10 helped the Vergennes Area Rescue Squad at a call in Waltham, where a woman reportedly had taken too much medication.
• On Nov. 11 ticketed a driver for possession of marijuana at a Main Street traffic stop.
• On Nov. 11 took a report from a driver that her car had been struck on the way to Vergennes from Hinesburg.
• On Nov. 11 searched unsuccessfully for a car reported to be driving erratically after dark without headlights on Monkton Road.
• On Nov. 12 told a woman who had left young children in a car parked on Main Street not to do so.
• On Nov. 12 went to New Haven to help VSP deal with a trespassing issue.
• On Nov. 13 were told by a city resident that a car with two men inside reportedly seen at a Ferrisburgh home break-in had also been seen on South Water Street.
• On Nov. 13 ticketed a driver for possession of marijuana at a West Main Street traffic stop.