Vergennes Police Log: Police deal with assault, stalled trucks, loose dogs
VERGENNES — Among other incidents between July 4 and 10, Vergennes police dealt with one case of domestic assault, a few other disputes, stalled tractor-trailer trucks and loose dogs.
In that week, Vergennes police:
• On July 4 participated in a grant-funded drunk-driving checkpoint in Ferrisburgh.
• On July 4 checked out an area on West Main Street after receiving a report about fireworks being set off.
• On July 5 called the animal control officer to deal with a dog running loose near the intersection of Hopkins Road and West Main Street.
• On July 5 directed traffic around a truck stalled on the hill near the Otter Creek bridge.
• On July 5 were told construction vehicles were regularly driving across South Maple Street lawns. Police did not find anything right away, but will keep an eye on the situation.
• On July 5 helped Vermont State Police by directing traffic at a three-car accident on Route 22A in Panton.
• On July 6 looked for a couple said to be arguing heatedly on a Macdonough Drive sidewalk, but could not find them.
• On July 6 helped state police at the Main Street station deal with a woman experiencing a mental health issue.
• On July 6 calmed a Monkton Road dispute between an employer and ex-employee.
• On July 7 served an abuse-prevention order on a Main Street resident.
• On July 7 looked unsuccessfully for a station wagon driven by a man who drove off after Shaw’s Supermarket employees refused to sell him beer or wine because he was too drunk.
• On July 7 helped state police by checking the welfare of a child at a Hillside Drive apartment.
• On July 8 dealt with a fender-bender in the Shaw’s parking lot.
• On July 8 served an abuse-prevention order on a Hillside Drive apartment resident.
• On July 8 ticketed a driver and passenger for possession of marijuana at a Macdonough Drive stop.
• On July 9 cited Chelsea Barrows, 23, of Vergennes for domestic assault after being called to a Main Street apartment building parking lot. Police said Barrows and her boyfriend argued after a night out drinking, and they allege she struck him seven times as they walked home.
• On July 9 calmed a separated couple who were arguing at a Meigs Road residence.
• On July 9 took a report that a package that had been delivered to a School Street home had apparently been stolen.
• On July 9 picked up a dog running loose on Macdonough Drive and returned it to its owner.
• On July 9 checked on a report of a truck stalled on the hill near the bridge, but it was gone when police arrived.
The Fresh Air Fund, initiated in 1877 to give kids from New York City the opportunity to e … (read more)
BRISTOL — A memorial service for Mark A. Nelson of Bristol will be held 1 p.m. on Saturday … (read more)
See when your favorite high school team is competing in the fall sports playoffs.