Vermont State Police Log: Man jailed after brandishing knife
ADDISON COUNTY — At around 3:45 a.m. this past Saturday morning, Vermont State Police responded to a report of an ongoing fight on West Street in Cornwall.
After a short investigation troopers said they determined that 36-year-old Rodibel S. Lopez had assaulted a woman. Police said Lopez had also brandished a knife and threatened to harm a man on the scene.
Troopers found Lopez on a nearby farm, arrested him and cited him for aggravated assault with a deadly weapon and simple assault. Lopez was lodged at Chittenden Regional Correctional Facility for lack of $1,500 bail.
Separately, state police last week reported that on May 24 they were notified by the Department for Children and Families of concerns about an intimate relationship between a 19-year-old Whiting woman and a 14-year-old girl in another town.
After investigating, police alleged that Victoria A. Hunt (who police said prefers to go by the name Jaydon M. Hunt) engaged in a sexual relationship with the 14-year-old girl over the last month. Police found Hunt, cited her for sexual assault and lodged her at the Marble Valley Regional Correctional Facility on $2,500 bail. Hunt pleaded innocent to the charge when she was arraigned in Rutland Superior Court, criminal division, on June 24.
The case was investigated by the Rutland Unit for Special Investigations, a multi-disciplinary team that investigates, prosecutes and serves victims of sex crimes and child victims of severe physical abuse throughout Rutland County.
In other recent activity, troopers:
• On June 20 at 1:30 p.m. received a report of a man riding a John Deere lawnmower down the travel portion of Route 116 in Bristol. Troopers said they found Claude Spaulding, 67 of Bristol driving on Lower Notch Road and noted signs of impairment. They screened Spaulding for driving under the influence, and cited him for driving under the influence of drugs.
• On June 20 at around 6:45 p.m. responded to a report of a domestic assault at a Route 125 home in Hancock. After investigating, police cited 61-year-old Steve Maxwell of Hancock for aggravated domestic assault, interference with access to emergency services and abuse of a vulnerable adult.
• On June 21 at approximately 1:04 a.m. went to the scene of a one-car crash on Route 22A in Benson. Police found a 2014 Chevrolet Cruz off the side of the northbound lane facing south — the rear axle broken in half and the passenger-side tire approximately 20 feet from the vehicle. During the crash the rear window was shattered and all airbags were deployed.
Both the driver, identified as 29-year-old Aili Jones of Middlebury, and an infant passenger were evaluated by the Fair Haven Rescue Squad. Neither the driver nor the baby appeared to be injured in the crash, but both were transported to Porter Hospital for more detailed evaluation.
The reason the vehicle left the roadway is unknown. Police said a contributing factor to the crash was operator fatigue. The lack of injuries was partially attributed to proper seat belt and car seat use.
No court action was anticipated.
• On June 22 at 6:29 a.m. stopped a vehicle driven on Route 22A in Shoreham by Arlyn Sunderland Sr., 42, of Shoreham for failing to display a registration plate. Police cited Sunderland for driving with a criminally suspended license.
• Acting on a tip, on June 25 at 1:50 p.m. went to Branbury State Park in Leicester looking for a wanted person. A state police K9 team located 25-year-old Adam Hornbeck of Brandon in a crowd of people. Police took Horneck into custody, and troopers reported that he admitted that he had cut off his GPS tracking device to prevent his location from being known.
Police lodged Hornbeck at the Marble Valley Correction Facility located in Rutland.
• On June 26 at four minutes past midnight stopped a motor vehicle driven by Norman A. Michaud, 58, of Middlebury on Route 116 in Bristol for a traffic infraction. A preliminary sample of his breath showed that Michaud’s blood alcohol content was 0.081 percent; the legal limit for driving is 0.08. Police cited Michaud for DUI.
• On June 26 at 9:03 p.m. went to the scene of a one-car crash on West River Road just west of Atkins Road in Lincoln. Police said they found a 2015 Kia driven by Shannon L. Delage, 40, of Lincoln pressed up a telephone pole. Police took Delage to the New Haven state police barracks, where a drug recognition expert evaluated her. The troopers cited Delage for driving under the influence of drugs. Delage, who was wearing a seat belt, was uninjured, but her car was judged to be a total loss.
• On June 26 at just before 10 p.m., received a call regarding an on going assault at the Rivers Bend Campground in New Haven. Troopers and Middlebury police arrived on scene and spoke with the victim of the assault, the owner of the campground and others. State police arrested 46-year-old Thomas Martin of Swanton, took him to the nearby state police barracks and cited him for domestic assault. Martin was lodged at the Marble Valley Regional Correctional Facility for lack of $500 bail.
The Fresh Air Fund, initiated in 1877 to give kids from New York City the opportunity to e … (read more)
BRISTOL — A memorial service for Mark A. Nelson of Bristol will be held 1 p.m. on Saturday … (read more)
See when your favorite high school team is competing in the fall sports playoffs.