MUHS boys’ tennis just keeps winning
MIDDLEBURY — The Middlebury Union High School boys’ tennis team took one step closer to an undefeated regular season on Wednesday, when the Tigers edged visiting U-32, 4-3.
The 9-0 Tigers, in a battle with 13-0 South Burlington for the top seed in Division I, are set to wrap up their season by visiting Harwood on Monday. The Tigers defeated the Highlanders, 6-1, earlier this spring.
On Wednesday, the Tigers benefitted from a forfeit at No. 5 singles, but won despite playing without injured No. 2 Jon Fitzcharles, who hurt his ankle two days before.
They also prevailed despite seeing two undefeated records lost, those of No. 5 singles player Jesse Rubin, who fell at No. 4 after moving up the ladder in Fitzcharles’ absence, and of No. 1 doubles team Max Mayone and Ben Silver. No. 1 singles player Nick Holmes preserved his unbeaten record, however.
The individual match results vs. the 4-5 Raiders were:
• At No. 1 singles, Holmes (M) defeated Aaron Thompson (U), 6-1, 6-3.
• At No. 2 singles, Ziven McCarty (M) defeated Wilson Knight (U-32), 6-4, 6-3.
• At No. 3 singles, Harrison Bushnel (U) defeated Owen Hammel, (M) 6-2, 6-4.
• At No. 4 singles, Joe Franco (U) defeated Rubin (M), 6-1, 6-3.
• At No. 5 singles, Joao Pedro Ribeiro (M) won by default.
• At No. 1 doubles, Logan Middleton/Ben Kaplan (U) defeated Silver/Mayone (M), 6-3, 7-5.
• At No. 2 doubles, Ryan Miller/Ronan Howlett (M) defeated Luc Burnier/Jack Morris (U-32), 6-4, 6-2.
The Fresh Air Fund, initiated in 1877 to give kids from New York City the opportunity to e … (read more)
BRISTOL — A memorial service for Mark A. Nelson of Bristol will be held 1 p.m. on Saturday … (read more)
See when your favorite high school team is competing in the fall sports playoffs.