Bathroom fan is suspected origin of fire at Weybridge Street home

MIDDLEBURY — Around 30 firefighters from three area departments battled a Saturday, Feb. 27, blaze at a Weybridge Street home that claimed the lives of three dogs and caused significant damage within the residence.
Middlebury Fire Chief Dave Shaw said his department was informed that smoke was coming from the home at 141 Weybridge St. at around 3:30 a.m. Firefighters from Middlebury, Weybridge and Cornwall responded to the fire, which resident Faith Lowell initially believed to have started in the chimney, according to Shaw.
The fire is believed to have started in a bathroom, possibly from a fan, Shaw said.
Responding firefighters immediately saw flames near the peak of the home’s roof. They made their way inside and were met with heavy smoke in the living room, Shaw said. Firefighters were able to contain the blaze to the living room, bathroom and a bedroom, according to Shaw.
Tragically, Lowell’s three dogs perished in the fire, although no people were hurt. Fortunately, Lowell had been sleeping in another area of the house, Shaw said.
Fire officials believe the home is salvageable. Shaw said Lowell has been able to stay with friends and neighbors while the damage is sorted out.

Share this story:

More News
News Uncategorized

Fresh Air Fund youths returning to county

The Fresh Air Fund, initiated in 1877 to give kids from New York City the opportunity to e … (read more)

Obituaries Uncategorized

Mark A. Nelson of Bristol

BRISTOL — A memorial service for Mark A. Nelson of Bristol will be held 1 p.m. on Saturday … (read more)

Sports Uncategorized

High school athletes ready for fall playoffs this week

See when your favorite high school team is competing in the fall sports playoffs.

Share this story: