Vergennes Police Log: Pistol left in public restroom
VERGENNES — Between Jan. 4 and 10, Vergennes police dealt with cases that included angry men, car accidents, minor drug cases, and a pistol left in a public rest room.
In those seven days, Vergennes police:
• On Jan. 4 responded to a minor two-car accident on East Street.
• On Jan. 5 helped Vermont State Police at the scene of a one-car rollover on Middlebrook Road in Ferrisburgh.
• On Jan. 5 served a relief-from-abuse order on a city juvenile on behalf of South Burlington police.
• On Jan. 5 were told by a Second Street resident that a car’s inspection sticker had been stolen.
• On Jan. 5 picked up a man reported to be hanging around a Main Street home and took him to a Middlebury shelter.
• On Jan. 6 helped the Vergennes Area Rescue Squad at a call on Sand Road in Ferrisburgh.
• On Jan. 6 helped a motorist get into a locked car on South Water Street.
• On Jan. 7 found the door of a Main Street business unlocked and notified its owner.
• On Jan. 7 handled a minor two-car accident in the Vergennes Union High School parking lot.
• On Jan. 7 helped a resident obtain an abuse-prevention order.
• On Jan. 8 helped VARS lift a patient at an East Street call.
• On Jan. 8 checked the welfare of a South Water Street resident on behalf of an employer; the resident was OK.
• On Jan. 8 went to the Small City Market when a pistol was round in a rest room. Police confiscated the weapon and issued a no-trespass order to its owner, and are also investigating whether it can be legally returned.
• On Jan. 8 stopped a car driven by Jeffrey Fortune, 23, of Vergennes and ticketed him for failure to yield at a stop sign, possession of marijuana and drug paraphernalia, and driving an uninsured vehicle; police allege he was also driving with a loaded rifle in his car, and they expect a game warden to cite him for that offense.
• On Jan. 9 went to Maple Manor, where a man was using his car to block a woman from leaving a driveway. Police said the man was not cooperative, but eventually left.
• On Jan. 10 following a traffic stop on South Maple Street ticketed a juvenile for drug paraphernalia and issued court diversion paperwork for marijuana possession.
• On Jan. 10 helped VSP screen a potentially impaired driver in Ferrisburgh.
• On Jan. 10 went along with a VSP trooper to a reported Scovil Lane family fight; police said the man involved eventually agreed to spend the night in a motel, and they took him there.
The Fresh Air Fund, initiated in 1877 to give kids from New York City the opportunity to e … (read more)
BRISTOL — A memorial service for Mark A. Nelson of Bristol will be held 1 p.m. on Saturday … (read more)
See when your favorite high school team is competing in the fall sports playoffs.