Vergennes police log for Aug. 27: Driver cited wth narcotics DUI
VERGENNES — Vergennes police on Aug. 21 cited a Killington resident for driving under the influence of drugs, and issued him another citation and two tickets, all actions taken after receiving a tip at about 1:30 p.m. from another motorist about an erratic driver heading southbound on Route 7.
Police said the driver was Jason Gauthier, 33, of Killington, who they stopped on Route 7 about a mile north of Vergennes. Police allege that the department’s drug recognition expert (DRE) determined that Gauthier was under the influence of narcotics while driving, leading to the DUI citation.
Police also allege they found a substance they believe was morphine hidden in one of his shoes, and cited him for possession of narcotics. Additionally, police said they found hashish and paraphernalia in his vehicle, and ticketed Gauthier for possession of marijuana and paraphernalia. He was cited and released, police said.
In other action between Aug. 17 and 23, Vergennes police:
• On Aug. 17 checked out a woman sleeping in a car on Park Street and determined there was no problem.
• On Aug. 17 spoke to the owner of a dog on Monkton Road that a pedestrian said was overly hostile.
• On Aug. 17 took a report from a citizen that an iPhone with cracked case had been lost near the Basin Harbor Club.
• On Aug. 17 talked with a landlord and tenant about a dispute over parking places.
• On Aug. 17 discussed a restraining order with a city resident at the station.
• On Aug. 18 went with the department canine and DRE to help Vermont State Police with a case in Cornwall.
• On Aug. 18 ticketed the driver of an overweight truck on South Water Street.
• On Aug. 19 checked a report of a dog left in a hot car outside the post office; the car was gone when police arrived.
• On Aug. 20 helped a motorist get into a locked car on South Water Street.
• On Aug. 20 investigated an alleged incident of lewd and lascivious behavior at Northlands Job Corps.
• On Aug. 20 helped VSP by responding to a minor two-car accident at the intersection of Routes 7 and 22A.
• On Aug. 21 began investigating the theft of scrap metal from Field Automotive on Meigs Road, including several large items.
• On Aug. 21 heard from a Second Street resident that his girlfriend was refusing to give back his cellphone; police obtained it for him the next day. Police also checked the man’s welfare on the 21st at the request of a friend.
• On Aug. 21 checked out a man carrying camping gear on Main Street who was said to be disoriented; police said he seemed OK.
• On Aug. 22 told a visitor who had docked a boat at a city dock and then learned of a family emergency that it would be OK to leave the boat there.
• On Aug. 22 helped the Vergennes Area Rescue Squad tend to an injured bicyclist on High Street.
• On Aug. 22 joined several other agencies in operating a sobriety checkpoint in and conducting roving patrols around the New Haven Junction; police said in its 48-minute duration that five DUI citations were issued.
• On Aug. 22 cited Eric Falter, 24, of Watertown, Mass., for DUI-drugs after stopping his car for failing to stop at the Panton Road stop sign at West Main Street. Police allege he was under the influence of marijuana and also ticketed him for marijuana and paraphernalia possession.
• On Aug. 23 while in New Haven stopped John Adams, 49, of Bennington for speeding in New Haven Junction and then arrested him on an outstanding 2013 warrant out of Bennington for failure to appear in court; police lodged him in the Marble Valley Correctional Center.
MIDDLEBURY — Bernard D. Kimball, 76, passed away in Bennington Hospital on Jan. 10, 2023. … (read more)
The Fresh Air Fund, initiated in 1877 to give kids from New York City the opportunity to e … (read more)