Shrine team picks Tiger, Otter stars
ADDISON COUNTY — Five members of the undefeated Division I champion Middlebury Union High School football team have been named to the 2015 Vermont Shrine Maple Sugar Bowl squad, and two members of the D-II finalist Otter Valley squad will join them in doing battle with their New Hampshire counterparts.
MUHS coach Dennis Smith will lead the Vermont team into action in a game that will be played at 5:30 p.m. on Aug. 1 at Castleton State College. Practices for both teams begin in Castleton on July 25.
From the two-time defending champion Tigers, Cullen Hathaway, Connor Quinn, Bobby Ritter, Austin Robinson and Justin Stone made the team.
From the Otters, Adam Sherwin and John Winslow were chosen.
Their teammates and their schools are:
• Bellows Falls: Brian McAnuff.
• BFA-Fairfax: Luke Langelier, Sean Stergas.
• BFA-St. Albans: Robert Kelly.
• Burr and Burton: Ryan Smith.
• Champlain Valley: Sam Lewis.
• Colchester: Grant Cummings.
• Essex: Brendan Gleason.
• Fair Haven: Jake Carter, Ian Msencik.
• Hartford: John Bielicki, Taylor Larmie, Willy Todt.
• Lyndon: Josh Guyer.
• Mill River: Jake Pitts.
• Mount Anthony: Tyler Mattison, Perle Webb.
• Poultney: Sam White.
• Rice: John Boardman, Chris Jansen, Charlie Meli and Anthony Phillip.
• Rutland: Jordan Godfrey.
• Spaulding: Cam Davis.
• St. Johnsbury: Ronnie Gobin, Dakota Holbrook, Colton Hudson, Caleb Stowell.
• Woodstock: Will Gault.
The Fresh Air Fund, initiated in 1877 to give kids from New York City the opportunity to e … (read more)
BRISTOL — A memorial service for Mark A. Nelson of Bristol will be held 1 p.m. on Saturday … (read more)
See when your favorite high school team is competing in the fall sports playoffs.