Vergennes Police Log: Family issues, car accidents keep officers busy
VERGENNES — Vergennes police between May 19 and 25 handled a variety of duties, including the aftermath of a domestic incident, two Click It Or Ticket details, family issues, and car accidents.
During those seven days, Vergennes police:
• On May 19 heard from a woman who was the alleged victim in a May 18 domestic assault case that she was worried about because her assailant remained nearby. Police determined the man was not in violation of his conditions of release and advised her how to get them strengthened if she was concerned. On May 24 and 25, police heard from the man involved that he was concerned because the woman was violating conditions by contacting him. Police advised him to track the incoming phone calls.
• On May 20 checked a report of a dog left unattended in a car, but found nothing.
• On May 20 dealt with a Main Street accident in which an opening car door knocked a cyclist into a second car; police said no one was injured.
• On May 20 arrested Christopher LaFlam, 28, of Vergennes on behalf of the Department of Probation and Parole, and lodged him at the Marble Valley Correctional Center. Police said LaFlam had violated the conditions of his release from jail.
• On May 20 helped the Addison County Sheriff’s Department serve a relief-from-abuse order.
• On May 20 checked a report of people in Falls Park after dark and cited one of them for possession of marijuana paraphernalia and littering for allegedly throwing a pipe into Otter Creek.
• On May 20 patrolled Monkton Road and issued eight tickets for speed and five for other violations.
• On May 21 responded to a Hillside Drive report of an unsupervised two-year-old in the road. A parent told them the child had pushed a screen out of a door and run off. Police reported the incident to the Department of Children and Families.
• On May 21 looked for but didn’t find a teen reported to be upset and walking toward Vergennes on Route 22A.
• On May 21 ticketed one driver involved in a two-car accident on North Green Street.
• On May 21 aided a federal agency conducting a local investigation.
• On May 22 helped three motorists get into their locked cars, one on Panton Road and two on North Green Street.
• On May 22 ticketed one driver involved in a two-car accident at the intersection of West Main and Canal streets.
• On May 23 heard at 3 a.m. from a motorist that a key had been left in a bank lobby door; police responded and an alarm sounded when they opened the door, bringing a supervisor to the scene to deal with the key.
• On May 23 called the Vergennes Area Rescue Squad to help an individual at Champlain Farms after being notified by a store clerk.
• On May 23 conducted a Click It Or Ticket detail in Panton and wrote six tickets for speed and one for a truck weight violation.
• On May 24 went to a Fuller Mountain Road home in Ferrisburgh to help at a medical call.
• On May 24 helped VARS at a Panton Road call.
• On May 25 were told a 7-year-old was missing from a Hillside Acres apartment, but learned the child’s grandparents had picked him up without notifying a parent who was in the shower.
• On May 25 conducted a Click It Or Ticket detail in Monkton and Starksboro and wrote four tickets for speed and several for other violations.
MIDDLEBURY — Bernard D. Kimball, 76, passed away in Bennington Hospital on Jan. 10, 2023. … (read more)
The Fresh Air Fund, initiated in 1877 to give kids from New York City the opportunity to e … (read more)