New road foreman hired in Waltham
WALTHAM — At a March 31 special meeting, the Waltham selectboard agreed to contract with Michael Merrigan to be in charge of maintaining the town’s roads.
The position, which is paid on a contract basis, has been held for decades by Francis Warner, who had told Waltham officials he planned to step down this summer.
However, Warner decided he would like to make the move earlier, and the board opted to bring aboard Merrigan, who helped Warner during this past challenging winter. The contract was made official and signed at the board’s regular April 7 meeting.
At that meeting, the board also accepted a $4,650 bid from Ferrisburgh treasurer Garrit Smits to handle lawn mowing for Waltham this year. The board also decided to advertise for several open positions: an auditor, a representative and an alternate to the Addison County Solid Waste District, and, according to draft minutes, “a potential vacancy for a select board member.”
In March, the selectboard elected Harold Francis as its chairperson and agreed to lease a new copier. In February, the board appointed Geoff Nelson as the town’s health officer and directed a hazardous dumping complaint to the Agency of Natural Resources. Other selectboard meetings in early 2014 and late 2013 were largely devoted to preparing for Town Meeting Day.
Meanwhile, the planning commission continued at its February and March meetings work to update and rewrite the Waltham town plan, including discussions of how much it would cost to have the Addison County Regional Planning Commission assist the process.
The following real estate transfers were recorded in Waltham in the past year:
• March 31, 2014: David Morin estate to Monica Brunet, mobile home at 40 High Manor Park, $48,800.
• Feb. 14, 2014: Geneva Holbrook to Penny Cousino, mobile home at 300 High Manor Park, $35,000.
• Oct. 25, 2013: Joannes and Tini deBoer to Allandra Farm Inc., 258.6 acre farm at 1090 South Middlebrook Road, $900,000 including $150,000 of personal property.
• Sept. 30, 2013: Brian Cota and Brenda Cota-Blanchard to Thomas Cousino, home at 133 Crosby Heights, $185,000.
• Aug. 26, 2013: Myrle Jackman to Jonathan and Patti Apgar, home at 828 Route 7, $210,000.
• June 26, 2013: Timothy and Amanda Hodson to David and Lisa Sausville, home at 2431 Green Street, $325,000.
• June 9, 2013: Mary and Anthony Kinson to Robert and Nancy Lenox, home at 169 Monroe Way, $430,000.
Mark A. Nelson of Bristol
BRISTOL — A memorial service for Mark A. Nelson of Bristol will be held 1 p.m. on Saturday … (read more)
High school athletes ready for fall playoffs this week
See when your favorite high school team is competing in the fall sports playoffs.
Ethan Allen Highway Storage Uncategorized
Ethan Allen Highway Storage Notice of Sale
Ethan Allen Storage 100622 1×1.75