Vergennes Police Log: Animal complaint leads to DUI citation
VERGENNES — A passerby alerting Vergennes police to a possible case of animal abuse led to their May 22 arrest of a Ferrisburgh man for driving under the influence, second offense.
Vergennes police said on that Wednesday a motorist called them to say he had seen a man throwing a dog in the back of a pickup truck, and that the man had an open container of alcohol.
When police left the station to investigate, they discovered the truck had recently been parked near City Hall outside a local business, and that an open container of an alcoholic beverage was sitting in its cabin.
Police then cited Robert K. Perkins, 69, of Ferrisburgh for DUI, second offense.
Between May 20 and 26, Vergennes police also participated in special Click It or Ticket seatbelt patrols in Addison, Middlebury, Bridport, Shoreham and New Haven, and:
• On May 20 heard from a man that his ex-girlfriend had allegedly taken his car without permission; police discovered he apparently had titled the car in her name, and that ownership of the vehicle was a civil issue to be determined by a court.
• On May 20 learned an apparently rabid woodchuck had attacked a Hopkins Road resident; police could not find the animal.
• On May 21 looked for but could not find a van with a young child unsecured in a passenger seat seen on Panton Road.
• On May 21 checked the background of an applicant for residency at the John Graham Shelter at the request of shelter officials.
• On May 21 dealt with a two-car accident at the intersection of West Main Street and Panton Road in which one person had minor injuries, but declined medical help.
• On May 21 helped a motorist get into a locked car on North Main Street.
• On May 21 went to Panton to help a game warden issue tickets for marijuana possession and possession of alcohol by minors.
• On May 22 dealt with stray dog complaints, picking one up on West Street and learning that a resident had picked one up on Main Street; both were taken to the Vergennes Animal Hospital.
• On May 22 cited Abraham Dourghty, 18, of Rochester for possession of marijuana after stopping his car on Main Street for defective equipment.
• On May 22 took a report that a cellphone had been stolen at Vergennes Union Elementary School; a second call informed police the phone had been found.
• On May 24 responded to a minor two-car accident at the intersection of Green and Main streets.
• On May 24 checked out a report of two dogs fighting inside a home; the owner had separated the animals.
• On May 25 dealt with a North Green Street barking dog complaint.
• On May 26 checked out a complaint of a suspicious car in a Main Street driveway.
MIDDLEBURY — Bernard D. Kimball, 76, passed away in Bennington Hospital on Jan. 10, 2023. … (read more)
The Fresh Air Fund, initiated in 1877 to give kids from New York City the opportunity to e … (read more)