Gymnasts score well at Vt. meet
ESSEX — The Middlebury Union High School gymnastics team finished its season with a seventh-place finish at Saturday’s state championship meet at Essex High School, a result that Coach Terri Phelps said was a solid effort for a team that lost many of its top point-scorers from 2012 and competed without an injured athlete this past weekend.
“The team did well on Saturday,” Phelps said in an email. “We went into the competition seeded eighth and placed seventh, which was the best we could hope for this year. Our team score of 100.975 was our second-highest score of the season.”
Phelps was especially happy about the point total because several athletes achieved personal bests to offset the loss of sophomore all-around competitor Hannah Stoll, who was injured at practice the day before the state meet.
“Many of the girls achieved their highest scores of the season at states, and we had our highest team totals of the season on bars and beam,” Phelps said.
The Tigers’ top finishers in each event were:
• Junior Lindsay Wells on the vault; her score of 8.275 was a season’s high.
• Junior Anneke Jewett on the bars; her score of 6.35 was a season’s best.
• Junior Gabrielle Ingenthron on the beam; her score of 7.6 was her best of the winter.
• Senior Kayla Evans on the floor with a score of 6.0.
• Wells in the all-around with a score of 25.825.
RIPTON — The memorial service in celebration of the life of Rev. Wayne Alfred Holsman, 87, … (read more)
See when your favorite high school team is competing in the fall sports playoffs.