Mount Abe Teen Log: School’s Kindness Campaign educates against bullying
BRISTOL — A group of middle school students has volunteered to serve as Greatness Reps at Mount Abraham Union High School, and will be leading a Kindness Campaign throughout the year with a goal of ultimately ending bullying.
The Kindness Campaign will recognize students for being kind, and to promote bullying awareness. One activity they have planned is to supply the school with “Caught Being Kind” coupons, which they and teachers can hand to students who are being kind to peers or adults. The kindness coupons will be used for monthly prize drawings. The group also plans to distribute “No Bullying” bracelets to everyone in the middle school.
The Greatness Reps include Ethan Brace, Ally Hoff, Molly Funk, Peter Gebo, Christian Boutin, Dakota Balou, Reilly Case, Siena Hoaglund, Caroline Biggs, Jackson Counter and Soren Kurth. The group plans to meet throughout the year to work on projects to eradicate bullying.
In other news at Mount Abraham:
• Ryan Lee, an 8th grade student, will be featured on the show “Yeti’s Ultimate Hunt.” Ryan and his dad have won an all-expenses-paid hunting trip through the program, to recognize Ryan’s independent fundraising efforts for cancer research.
• MAUHS field hockey players raised more than $2,000 for their Play for the Cure game for the fight against breast cancer.
• Junior Gabrielle Schlein helped paint the “Azimuth” sculptural mural at the Willowell Foundation in Monkton.
• Vermont Teen Leadership Safety Program students cooked and served a hot meal at the Bristol Community Food Shelf on Friday, Oct. 26.
• Senior Cassie Fancher attended the Pratt Institute Pre-College program for painting, drawing and art history this summer.
• Senior Taylor Grenier took four college courses in San Francisco this summer, studying fashion design, fashion illustration, fashion merchandising and fashion construction.
• Senior Jared Danyow is coaching the first- and second-grade co-ed soccer team in New Haven.
• Will Aldrich and Ethan Brace, members of Monkton Boy Scout Troop 525, hosted a haunted forest with their troop at the Monkton Central School.
• Senior Jim Kleptz is a member of the Burlington Rifle and Pistol Club. Kleptz qualified and attended the National Junior Olympic Championship in Colorado Springs last spring.
Editor’s note: This column was submitted by Taylor Farnsworth, a Mount Abraham Vermont Teen Leadership Safety Program student.
The Fresh Air Fund, initiated in 1877 to give kids from New York City the opportunity to e … (read more)
BRISTOL — A memorial service for Mark A. Nelson of Bristol will be held 1 p.m. on Saturday … (read more)
See when your favorite high school team is competing in the fall sports playoffs.