Middlebury Police Log: Police look into embezzlement
MIDDLEBURY — Middlebury police on Sept. 10 began investigating the alleged embezzlement of $20,000 from the Marquis Theater on Main Street. Police said the theater owner has allegedly obtained a signed confession from an employee admitting responsibility for the crime. The matter was still under investigation as the Addison Independent went to press.
In other action last week, Middlebury police:
• Received a report that a checkbook had been stolen from a resident of Middlebury Commons on Buttolph Drive on Sept. 10.
• Were informed of the theft of $500 from a Foote Street resident’s wallet on Sept. 10.
• Assisted a local man who reported receiving harassing texts and phone messages on Sept. 12.
• Received a report that someone broke into an Airport Road home and stole jewelry on Sept. 12.
• Broke up a verbal dispute between two men on Sept. 12.
• Got counseling for a man who called police on Sept. 12 alleging that his brother had been shot at a Cross Street apartment. Police said they found no injured man in the apartment and subsequently reached the caller’s brother safe in Burlington.
• Cited Abraham Goyette, 19, of New Haven for driving under the influence, following a stop for speeding on Court Street on Sept. 13.
• Cited a local juvenile for disorderly conduct on Main Street on Sept. 13. Police said the youth became disorderly while being issued a complaint for skateboarding on Main Street.
• Quieted a loud party on Short Shannon Street on Sept. 13.
• Calmed a local, emotionally disturbed man on Cross Street on Sept. 14.
• Cited Thomas Deacon, 19, a Middlebury College student, for being a minor in possession of alcohol, following an alleged incident on Court Street on Sept. 14.
• Assisted Counseling Service of Addison County officials with an intoxicated, suicidal patient at a North Pleasant Street apartment on Sept. 14.
• Separated two men who seemed poised to fight in the municipal parking lot off Cross Street on Sept. 15.
• Were informed of the theft of a red “single-payer health insurance poster” from a Rogers Road resident’s yard on Sept. 15.
• Were informed that a split rail fence on Old College Farm Road had been vandalized on Sept. 15.
• Issued court diversion paperwork to a youth seen drinking beer on the corner of Shannon and College streets on Sept. 16.
• Served court diversion paperwork on a drunken, underage youth who had been drinking on Middlebury College campus on Sept. 16.
• Interviewed a young woman seen bleeding from her head while walking along Middlebury College’s Freeman Way on Sept. 16. Police said the woman was drunk and had apparently fallen.
• Issued court diversion paperwork to a young woman seen drinking beer at the intersection of Shannon and College streets on Sept. 16.
• Cited Albert R. Bingham, 61, of Middlebury for violation of the town’s open container ordinance on Creek Road on Sept. 16.
• Assisted the Middlebury Volunteer Fire Department in responding to a “small fire” in a student dorm room on Adirondack View on Sept. 16.
• Received a report that some seizure-related medicine had allegedly been taken from a room at the Waybury Inn on East Main Street on Sept. 16.
Mark A. Nelson of Bristol
BRISTOL — A memorial service for Mark A. Nelson of Bristol will be held 1 p.m. on Saturday … (read more)
High school athletes ready for fall playoffs this week
See when your favorite high school team is competing in the fall sports playoffs.
Ethan Allen Highway Storage Uncategorized
Ethan Allen Highway Storage Notice of Sale
Ethan Allen Storage 100622 1×1.75