Vermont State Police Log: Accident leads to several citations for area men
ADDISON COUNTY — On Tuesday, March 6, at around 5 p.m. Vermont State Police at the New Haven barracks received a phone call alerting them to an intoxicated driver in Addison. A short time later a second phone call alerted police to a vehicle off Route 23 in Weybridge, and troopers determined that it was the vehicle observed in Addison.
Troopers found the registered owner of the vehicle, 41-year-old Todd Wood of Ferrisburgh, attempting to push the vehicle for the driver, 19-year-old Kaleb Gorton of Bristol, who was trying to get the vehicle unstuck from the mud on the west side of Route 23. Police said both were highly impaired by a combination of prescription medication and alcohol.
They cited Gorton for three counts: driving under the influence of drugs, second offense; driving with a suspended license from a prior DUI conviction; and consumption of a malt beverage by a minor.
Wood was arrested and cited for distributing his prescription medication and furnishing alcohol to an underage person and was lodged on $2,500 bail at the Marble Valley Correctional Center.
In other recent activity, VSP:
• On March 6 at 8:14 p.m. stopped a vehicle driven by Andrew Malzac, 19, of Bristol on Plank Road in New Haven for allegedly traveling at 67 mph in a 35 mph zone. The trooper cited Malzac for possession of marijuana and speeding.
• On March 8 at approximately 6 p.m. were notified of a burglary at a Route 7 residence in Ferrisburgh. The residents told police that several items were stolen, including jewelry, silverware, binoculars and a digital camera. Anyone with information is encouraged to call the New Haven State Police barracks at 802-388-4919.
• On March 8 at around 8 p.m. stopped vehicle driven by Christopher Rantanen, 26, of Leicester on Route 7 in Leicester. Police said he was traveling at 87 mph through the Leicester Four Corners on a wet road. The trooper cited Rantanen for speeding.
• On March 8 at 8:39 p.m. checked a vehicle parked on a pulloff on Route 7 across from Pioneer Auto in Leicester, and found that both occupants had been drinking. The driver was screened for DUI and found to be under the legal limit, but the trooper cited the passenger, David French, 35, of Addison for possession of marijuana.
• On March 9 at just before midnight responded to a single-vehicle crash at the intersection of snow-covered Cider Mill Road and Route 30 in Cornwall. Police said Lisa Hartman, 50, of Ripton lost control of 2003 Toyota she was driving and collided with a utility pole. Neither the driver nor passenger required medical attention.
See when your favorite high school team is competing in the fall sports playoffs.
Ethan Allen Storage 100622 1×1.75