Middlebury Police Log: Police seeking info on suspicious man
MIDDLEBURY — Middlebury police investigated a report of a drunken man allegedly offering to give two juveniles a ride in his vehicle in the Cross Street area on Wednesday, Feb. 15. Witnesses described the man as being around 5 feet, 7 inches tall, mostly bald, with short gray hair at the sides, in his 50s or early 60s, with short stubble on his face, wearing a blue collared sweatshirt and jeans and drinking what appeared to be cola.
Witnesses said the man seemed drunk, as he was slurring his speech and wobbly on his feet. Anyone with information about the suspect or this incident should call police at 388-3191.
In other action last week, Middlebury police:
• Investigated a report on Feb. 13 of a Middlebury Union High School student allegedly distributing drugs on a school bus.
• Assisted a local woman who was receiving harassing phone calls on Feb. 13.
• Spoke on Feb. 13 to the parents of some district students who had been repeatedly absent from school.
• Found a lost wallet in the Bakery Lane area on Feb. 13. Police returned the wallet to its owner.
• Investigated a potential violation of the town’s junk ordinance in the Woodland Park area on Feb. 14.
• Assisted Vermont State Police with an “unruly subject” at the Middlebury College Field House on Feb. 14.
• Helped search for a runaway juvenile in the Washington Street Extension area on Feb. 14.
• Investigated a report of vandalism to the Little League Snack Shack off Creek Road on Feb. 15.
• Received a report on Feb. 15 that someone had spray painted graffiti on a fuel tank off Mainelli Road on Feb. 15.
• Were informed of a theft from Airport Auto on Feb. 15. Police said someone also drew graffiti on storage units at the location.
• Ticketed a youth for being a minor in possession of tobacco at MUHS on Feb. 15.
• Responded to a complaint about a barking dog in the Foster Circle neighborhood on Feb. 15.
• Responded to two separate family disputes in a Woodbridge Lane neighborhood on Feb. 15.
• Detained, for U.S. Border Patrol, two Central American men who were in the country illegally on Feb. 16. Middlebury police detained the men after one of them tried to wire money from Hannaford Supermarket using a fake Massachusetts identification card and a Guatemalan consular card. Police said the man and his companion from El Salvador admitted to being in the country illegally.
• Broke up a loud party at a South Main Street residence on Feb. 17.
• Ticketed a youth for being a minor in possession of tobacco at MUHS on Feb. 17.
• Responded to the alleged theft of a wedding ring from a resident of Helen Porter Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center on Porter Drive on Feb. 17.
• Issued Addison County Court Diversion paperwork to a Middlebury College female student found lying on the sidewalk, rolling in her own vomit at the intersection of South Main Street and Storrs Avenue on Feb. 19.
• Destroyed a syringe and medication dropper found in the Middlebury Beef Supply parking lot off Route 7 South on Feb. 19.
• Received a sexual assault evidence kit from an anonymously reported sexual assault on Feb. 20.
The Fresh Air Fund, initiated in 1877 to give kids from New York City the opportunity to e … (read more)
BRISTOL — A memorial service for Mark A. Nelson of Bristol will be held 1 p.m. on Saturday … (read more)
See when your favorite high school team is competing in the fall sports playoffs.